When should i replace rodi filters? 40g/month

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im making around 40g/ month for my 50g system. BRS 5 stage rodi system with sediment filter, 2 :1 micron carbon blocks, and 2 di canisters.

I was thinking once a year would suffice. Input water to the sediment filter is 50 to 100tds.

What would you recommend?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pressure gauge after the RO stage?

When pressure drops, it's time to replace the sediment, and carbon blocks.

Better yet is a triple inline TDS meter. Put one probe in the incoming, another after the RO, and third after your DI. Take measurements at each stage, when they change(go up in TDS), it's time to replace cartridges.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I'm on year 3 of my RO, TDS hasn't changed out of the RO. I have great water though at 24 incoming TDS.

I do as you though in regards to the other cartridges. When TDS is above 0, I change carbon, sediment, and DI stages.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change pre filter, carbon, and di when tds goes to 1.
Membranes do not need to be changed unless tds readings are higher than 0 after new filters, imo.
Mines 2+ years old and was used when I bought it.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large system. I cue my changes on prefilters when the sediment filter gets funky (kinda light brown).

I run a BRS system. Your system like mine is a 6 stage system. The RO filter counts as a stage.

I use colour changing DI. I have two canisters in series. I change the first when it has completely changed. I remove it. Place the second canister in the first position. I repack my depleted canister and place it in the second position.

I have a TDS monitor after my RO filter. Typically, it produces 2 TDS water. When that creeps up, I change it. I rarely have to change the RO filter…. Once every three years or so and that is after I have produced well in excess of 15,000 gallons. ‘

On your system, you might only need to change the RO filter every 10 years (if then).

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pressure gauge after the RO stage?

When pressure drops, it's time to replace the sediment, and carbon blocks.

Better yet is a triple inline TDS meter. Put one probe in the incoming, another after the RO, and third after your DI. Take measurements at each stage, when they change(go up in TDS), it's time to replace cartridges.
What amount of pressure drop is acceptable? Or what pressure differential should the ro cartridges get replaced?

My house water pressure is nuts, pushing over 80psi at my washer hookup

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might be doing this wrong but I test my waste water every so often for chlorine. As soon as it registers, I swap out the carbon (and sediment filters if I haven't done this for a while).

DI gets changed when output TDS goes to the limit you are happy with (I change them out at 2, but many people will change them as soon as they get to 1).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back