When to add skimmer?

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have held of buying a skimmer because I thought i'd delay the cost a bit, and add it when needed. But it's been a year now since I've started, and I'm wondering, if the point of a protein skimmer is to eliminate organic waste, and none of my parameters are exceeding the recommended limits...do I still need one? Can I still wait indefinitely or is there some other benefit my tank is missing?

thanks y'all

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't have to have a skimmer. The only reason you would really have to have a skimmer is if you want to do zero maintenance
Oh contraire.... no skimmer here for a while, and less maintenance, in my experience. It's allowed my nitrates to grow a bit from zero, and they've held steady at 10-15 since. Phos is low as was ever. I am more frequent with my maintenance I will say that much, but I find my hours weekly are about half of before. Maybe an hour? Once monthly cleanings of pumps etc are same. I have to pay attention a little more often, but it's not really maintenance more than observation. And agreed, you don't need a skimmer. But if it floats your boat and right for the system have at er....

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh contraire.... no skimmer here for a while, and less maintenance, in my experience. It's allowed my nitrates to grow a bit from zero, and they've held steady at 10-15 since. Phos is low as was ever. I am more frequent with my maintenance I will say that much, but I find my hours weekly are about half of before. Maybe an hour? Once monthly cleanings of pumps etc are same. I have to pay attention a little more often, but it's not really maintenance more than observation. And agreed, you don't need a skimmer. But if it floats your boat and right for the system have at er....

I should have said zero water changes or the "WWC" method per say

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I have a 55g and roughly a month ago I added a small in-tank skimmer to supplement my HOB mechanical filter and the result was a significant improvement in my water quality, both clarity and nitrate levels. Very pleased with that investment.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a skimmer. Completely not needed if you have some other export system in place. I personally run an ATS for export since it is waaaay more efficient than a skimmer and is dirt cheap to build and super cheap long-term running costs (ever had your skimmer pump fail out of warranty? Ya that sucks...).

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I have a 55g and roughly a month ago I added a small in-tank skimmer to supplement my HOB mechanical filter and the result was a significant improvement in my water quality, both clarity and nitrate levels. Very pleased with that investment.
I have a 45.2 waterbox. It's an AIO but also has a sump. I have some macro growing in there at the moment.

Back