When to flick the switch on the lighting - MicroBacterClean for 4 months instead?

g0mgx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read with interest this thread:

R2R Thread

about when or when not to turn on the lights in a new tank.

I have recently seen a YouTube video from BRSTv that suggests NOT turning on the lights for 4 months and dosing with MictoBacterClean to basically avoid the mucky part of the tank establishing process.

My build thread is here:

Build Thread

and I currently have NOT set up the lighting so have a rather dark tank with two clown fish.

Can anyone offer guidance on the pros and cons of the no light and MicroBacterClean method?

I'm really unsure what to do.

Mark

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish are used to common light cycles go ahead and add light now and manage the uglies as you see fit from these options all people use:

select one or a combo
-do nothing, allow to run its course

-do rip cleans to guide

-buy animals, see if they work

-dose things

-do light siphon work to clean up mats, testing for nothing dosing for nothing

- install UV in anticipation

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completing the 4 mos no light does not erase the need for those it merely delays it. the process isn't harmful but it doesnt stop the uglies at all.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still boggles my mind how many people freak out over the ugly phase. It's normal, it's supposed to happen. Stop wasting time reading articles and buying products. Let the tank mature and allow nature to do its thing.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same theory as curing your rock in a tub with heater and occasional food. And it's valid up to a point. Personally, I'd rather have a tub in my garage/basement than a papered up tank in my living room. I'm sure it helps a smoother start with rock with established life (especially if you can get some seed rock with sponges from a mature systems or someone cryptic sump - or the ocean). But completely avoiding any unpleasantness in tank start up is probably is not a reasonable expectation.

If you already have a tank...my advice is not to bother. Watch your nutrients and go with lower light cycle at first.

Dosing bacteria is really optional if you're talking months. Nitrifrying bacteria will still show up as it's ubiquitous.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the 'uglies' can show up anytime something goes amiss. Miss a few cleanings, add some new equipment or switch products. Try a new methodology or add some livestock that has a pest and boom - the uglies. They're just called dinos, or GHA, or cyano or bateria blooms if it's a mature tank. Same cause - something got a bit out of balance from an initial condition and needs to re-balance (sometimes with help...alot of help). Point is...have fun. If you want to try going dark for 4 months and add bacteria have at it and post your progress. But I'm not sure anyone can avoid everything bad....look at those experienced reefers on youtube (including BRS) - the "next tank' always has problems somewhere down the line as I'm sure mine will (regardless of my best planning). :)

OP
OP
g0mgx

g0mgx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, so I've turned the lights on 5 hours a day with a 30 day acclimatisation period with reduced output.

Will report back!

IMG-20211024-WA0002.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back