When to make your own water?

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late commer on the train, I see you already have your answer here lol. But just to add, yes get the RODI. I'd never run a reef without one. With all the money we have invested in live stock in our tanks, and all the years we try getting them just where we want them it's way to much responsibility to have someone els in control of the most important thing in my tank, the water. Not to mention as already said its the when you need it.

It doesn't have to be complicated to install. With all the available units now a days. Myself I just collect 30g the day before I need it, mixup the salt for an hr and do the change. Sure a 30g barrel in my living room isn't pretty. But it's there after the wife house to work and packed away by the time she gets home. She's never knew at all .

20200331_011906.jpg

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering the same question and it looks like I need to get a RODI. I have been spending a good ammount of money on my tank this year so funds are a little low expecially after this not working for who knowsw how long. What would be a good cost effective RODI system.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Rodi system. >$200 for a full unit off Amazon, 75gpd, 3gph,with a tap and pressurized storage tank. Great tasting drinking water and unlimited water for my aquarium. $80 for a 160gal bucket of salt.
Definitely worth it in the long run.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing I bought after the tank, and haven't regretted it one bit, for brand I bought the BRS 4 stage 150 gallon water saver and set up with a float shut off valve in the fill tank, because you always forget about it.... And with BRS I order more resin/filters when I use up what I have on hand that way its fresh and I will have it when I need it 6 months down the road. I like the RODI system so much I bought the booster for the water pressure to make it quicker and more efficient as well.

steve meyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the fence as to make the investment in a RODI system and mixing my own saltwater. I have a 56 gal tank that I have been running for about a year and a half. I do weekly water changes of 5 gals during general maintenance. LFS is a 20 min drive. I have (2) 5 gal jugs that I go to the LFS every 2 weeks to get more. Price is $1.00 per/gal. Yes, if I have a major disaster and need to change more then 10 gals, I have an issue. I have gone to the store 2x a week when my nitrates were high and I needed to reduce them.
My question is when does having your own mixing/water station make sense. I know I will have the added cost of the waste water, that will add to my gray water septic tank and that I will have to make the water ahead of time if my RODI system has a small production output.
I do plan on the investment when I get a larger tank but do any of you think I should be looking at getting one sooner than later?
[/QUOT

steve meyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the fence as to make the investment in a RODI system and mixing my own saltwater. I have a 56 gal tank that I have been running for about a year and a half. I do weekly water changes of 5 gals during general maintenance. LFS is a 20 min drive. I have (2) 5 gal jugs that I go to the LFS every 2 weeks to get more. Price is $1.00 per/gal. Yes, if I have a major disaster and need to change more then 10 gals, I have an issue. I have gone to the store 2x a week when my nitrates were high and I needed to reduce them.
My question is when does having your own mixing/water station make sense. I know I will have the added cost of the waste water, that will add to my gray water septic tank and that I will have to make the water ahead of time if my RODI system has a small production output.
I do plan on the investment when I get a larger tank but do any of you think I should be looking at getting one sooner than later?
Well just do a list of pros and cons.....you will find the pros will be a large list. The fact you will be upgrading is just one more on the list. Ones that to also consider lfs closing or going out of business, the zombie apocalypse which has almost became a reality with the current pandemic. Temporary closing in a bad weather scenario........but the biggest reason is you will be more in control of your system. Just some thoughts the list can go on forever.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late commer on the train, I see you already have your answer here lol. But just to add, yes get the RODI. I'd never run a reef without one. With all the money we have invested in live stock in our tanks, and all the years we try getting them just where we want them it's way to much responsibility to have someone els in control of the most important thing in my tank, the water. Not to mention as already said its the when you need it.

It doesn't have to be complicated to install. With all the available units now a days. Myself I just collect 30g the day before I need it, mixup the salt for an hr and do the change. Sure a 30g barrel in my living room isn't pretty. But it's there after the wife house to work and packed away by the time she gets home. She's never knew at all .

20200331_011906.jpg
LOL hopefully the wife does not read R2R or she knows now that you have a big can sitting in the living room....I did watch the BRS video on salt mixing and their testing looks like you mix should be "mixing" for about 24 hours for best mixing of the salt. Might cut into the time your barrel should not be in the living room.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a large Nitrate spike and a few dead corals on Thanksgiving morning to make up my mind. I was on a holiday, with a dying tank, and no real ability to fix it quickly. We purchased a RODI unit immediately, a 35gallon mixer/storage tank, and together with our 6x5 gallon jugs have water on hand anytime we need to fix/address anything quickly. The feeling of quality and safety for our investment has really taken a load off our minds.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a large Nitrate spike and a few dead corals on Thanksgiving morning to make up my mind. I was on a holiday, with a dying tank, and no real ability to fix it quickly. We purchased a RODI unit immediately, a 35gallon mixer/storage tank, and together with our 6x5 gallon jugs have water on hand anytime we need to fix/address anything quickly. The feeling of quality and safety for our investment has really taken a load off our minds.
Yes this is always a fear especially now with LFS around here closing...Mine has made special accommodations for the local hobby but who knows what the future holds and if I can make it at home, It sounds like I get much better water quality or at least its my fault if my water quality/filter maintenance is off.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just do a list of pros and cons.....you will find the pros will be a large list. The fact you will be upgrading is just one more on the list. Ones that to also consider lfs closing or going out of business, the zombie apocalypse which has almost became a reality with the current pandemic. Temporary closing in a bad weather scenario........but the biggest reason is you will be more in control of your system. Just some thoughts the list can go on forever.
that is a pro, having purified water in your house due to zombie apocalypse does come in handy, I can hold about 28gallons in the containers I have I mix in a 32gal brute trash can waiting the 24hrs before doing a change, I tuck it in the corner so my wife doesn't get to mad about it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back