When to NOT use a protein skimmer?

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32. I purchased the aquamaxx WS-1 protein skimmer. It seems overkill for this rank but it likely surpasses any other option for my biocube.

Ill have to do modifications to my biocube to make this fit.

before I do these mods, I’m wondering when it wouldn’t be appropriate to use a protein skimmer?

I want to focus on high end corals. My nitrates and phosphates are very low. I may have to dose nitrates. Would it be a poor idea to get a protein skimmer with low nutrient levels?

OR is getting a protein skimmer generally a ‘good idea’ to keep water quality high?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, on a tank volume that small, all your nutrient exports can be handled with maintenance water changes. An overly powerful skimmer can strip a lot of nutrients in your tank so if you did install the WS-1, you might find yourself leaving it off for a good amount of the day.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is just one way to get 'stuff' out of your water. There's advantages (gas exchange, pH stability), but it's not at all 'essential' equipment. Good water quality is just as possible with regularly changed out filter floss and water changes.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not oversized for that aquarium at all...good skimmer.

Yes, it's a good idea to run skimmer (not absolutely required, but it does increase chance of success and adds a maintenance buffer if you will).

The only times I don't run my skimmer are when additive directions say not too and when I'm doing cleaning or other maintenance that will stir up a lot of gunk that may cause the skimmer to overflow (you'll see when you run it when you need to). I also turn it off when the return pump is off due to level - not sure if that'll be required for you, depends on your setup.

Lastly, skimmers do not remove nitrates or phosphates - they remove the biologics before they break down into those nutrients. Many people dose both and still run skimmer.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just plop it in and run it. Dont over think it. It wont cause any harm and can only help in normal situations. I dont think I would run a tank without one now days unless I did some other type of export method which has even higher maintenance costs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When not to:

-When doing a water change (affected by water levels)

-When using chemiClean for Cyano

-When treating with certain medications

OP
OP
Madonia

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldn’t the protein skimmer strip nutrients out of the water regularly? = less happy filter feeder coral

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really doubt the corals will care if your feeding corals foods such as Reef Roids, BRS Reef Chili and Amino Acids

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer would really help with aeration. Especially if you have the lid on the tank. Definitely not a necessity though as long as you have good wavemakers in the tank.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you N03 and PO4 are within your target range without one, I see no reason to run a skimmer.

Remember, a skimmer will pull out the good stuff corals like along with the stuff you want to keep at a minimum.

There are numerous posts from members who have either gone to turning off their skimmer for a few hours a day of pulled it out completely because of problems with nutrients being too low, and thus resulting in nuisance algae, especially when NO3 was near zero with PO4 present as the nuisance stuff can get N2 for other sources out keeping your corals.

I also find that the smaller skimmers are not that efficient . I had a good thread going in the nano forum on this subject with interesting post from different views by members based on their real life experience. I'll see if I can find and link it here.

OP
OP
Madonia

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you N03 and PO4 are within your target range without one, I see no reason to run a skimmer.

Remember, a skimmer will pull out the good stuff corals like along with the stuff you want to keep at a minimum.

There are numerous posts from members who have either gone to turning off their skimmer for a few hours a day of pulled it out completely because of problems with nutrients being too low, and thus resulting in nuisance algae, especially when NO3 was near zero with PO4 present as the nuisance stuff can get N2 for other sources out keeping your corals.

I also find that the smaller skimmers are not that efficient . I had a good thread going in the nano forum on this subject with interesting post from different views by members based on their real life experience. I'll see if I can find and link it here.
Please do!

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living where I live it is very difficult to not be priced gauged for a decent skimmer, I just did away with my instant ocean seaclone 100 and my tank looks much cleaner. That is why I hate skimmers.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great input. Now I run an IM 30L no skimmer and I change 2-3 gallons a week. Under this maintenance, and feeding, this tank does need a skimmer, which I tried, but did not like the look. For me water changes were the way to go.

FCAD5794-D733-411F-A7FE-69B543F18F50.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back