When to scrape Algae scrubber screen?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my DIY less than $30 scrubber works. This is new to me and need a little direction.
When do you scrape the screen, roughly how much algae do you let accumulate before scraping it off and do you scrape the entire screen or a portion of it. The algae depth is roughly a 1/4" or more.
This is 1 weeks worth of excitement lol
So stoked that it worked, dropped nitrates to almost 0 and phosphates dropping and the hair algae in the tank is starting to lose color, going opaque
20210328_105837.jpg
20210401_095641.jpg
20210405_141210.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my DIY less than $30 scrubber works. This is new to me and need a little direction.
When do you scrape the screen, roughly how much algae do you let accumulate before scraping it off and do you scrape the entire screen or a portion of it. The algae depth is roughly a 1/4" or more.
This is 1 weeks worth of excitement lol
So stoked that it worked, dropped nitrates to almost 0 and phosphates dropping and the hair algae in the tank is starting to lose color, going opaque
20210328_105837.jpg
20210401_095641.jpg
20210405_141210.jpg
Now. I wouldn’t drop nutrients too low. Screen cleaning times can vary (about 9 days was my optimum). Check the algae at the screen surface to see if it’s gone white, if it has you’ve gone a bit too long. If nutrients drop to Dino territory, less intense light or reduce the lighting schedule or clean screen more often or feed more (my favorite). I experimented with cleaning half only, trimming, it didn’t make any noticeable difference but it’s just easier to clean all of it. Rinse it with tap water after scraping. You might wanna put a light blocker on the slotpipe also to prevent clogging and makes it easier to clean. That’s good growth, congrats.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now. I wouldn’t drop nutrients too low. Screen cleaning times can vary (about 9 days was my optimum). Check the algae at the screen surface to see if it’s gone white, if it has you’ve gone a bit too long. If nutrients drop to Dino territory, less intense light or reduce the lighting schedule or clean screen more often or feed more (my favorite). I experimented with cleaning half only, trimming, it didn’t make any noticeable difference but it’s just easier to clean all of it. Rinse it with tap water after scraping. You might wanna put a light blocker on the slotpipe also to prevent clogging and makes it easier to clean. That’s good growth, congrats.
Thanks for the information, I currently run the light 24/7 trying to get it to compete with the algae that sprung up after my Dino stage but I will cut the time back because of the nitrate drop.
Looks like I'll be screen cleaning later.
Again thanks for the advice.
Oh yeah, I'll fashion a light blocker for the slot, I didn't expect this type of result so quickly, but you're right on the light blocker

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id scrape mine when full like the 3rd pic.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back