When to use alkalinity booster or switch to calcium reactor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would you use your alkalinity booster or decide to add a calcium reactor in the mix? I've had high calcium, and I reduced my part 2 dosing until it was back in line. I was just curious when you would dose alkalinity booster instead of just upping the amount of each part.

I've got a 150gal tank, pretty full. I dose 70ml! of each core7 part per day. Seems like a lot, but it keeps the alk stable at 8.

Thanks

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find that both your Calcium and Magnesium are high and your KH is 8 or lower than you would drop the dose of all solutions and then dose the CO3 to raise the Alk whilst maintaining the lower Ca and Mg.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my Mg is getting high also. Maybe I'll try getting the CO3 on a doser and then monitor the 4 part based on the calcium/mg. I had largely been just watching the alk, but I get the feeling it's just too much. Thank you!

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First week of dosing core7 Triton method and crazy spike in magnesium. Please advise

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calcium raised to 440 from 410 and alk raised 7.5 from 7 but the mag went to 2000 from 1300

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was manual dosing with syringe so its not a miss calibrated doser

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whole system is exactly 26 gallons of water and i double checked the mag test thinking i must have messed up the first time but same results so now i am still waiting on icp results to verify my test kit

Last edited:

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started 1ml per day instead of the recommended 2ml since it is a small system and i checked alk daily at the same time of day but at the end of week 1 when i checked all three parameters the mag test was off the charts

Last edited:

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started 1ml per day instead of the recommended 2ml since it is a small system and i checked alk daily at the same time of day but at the end of week 1 when i checked all three parameters the mag test was off the charts
In 26g of water a 700+ rise in MG would be the equivalent rise of adding 2 bottles of Mg buffer which is a lot in such a relatively small body of water.

Which test kit are you using?

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea magnesium (not expired) prior to dosing 1300
salifert calcium 410 prior to dosing
hanna alk waited it it dropped to 7dkh prior to dosing

Last edited:

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible for you to cross check with a different test kit, are you sure of your level before you started dosing because there's no way that 7ml of Core7 can raise Magnesium by 700 in 26g, 7ml should effectively raise it by 3 not 700.....

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible for you to cross check with a different test kit, are you sure of your level before you started dosing because there's no way that 7ml of Core7 can raise Magnesium by 700 in 26g, 7ml should effectively raise it by 3 not 700.....

Hey Tim@Triton all sorted out now someone decided to play a practical joke on their father. 5 kids and reefing dont mix all parameters on point and very well balanced for a small system i am very sorry for the mind bending. Thank you and all the best

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim@Triton all sorted out now someone decided to play a practical joke on their father. 5 kids and reefing dont mix all parameters on point and very well balanced for a small system i am very sorry for the mind bending. Thank you and all the best
Phew!! Glad it is all sorted! :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back