When you forget to set RODI TIMER.... ⏲️ ‍♀️

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Make sure you set the alarm for 1 hour" I said. "Don't forget" I said.....
Welp, I forgot.
I don't know how but by some miracle by the time I realized and ran over it was 1mm from overflowing. 1mm!! Thank sweet 9lb baby Jesus for not making my night into miserable mess trying to dry out the carpets and going thru 947 towels. I got lucky. Narrowly. Just a cautionary tale for others like me who don't have a big set up just an RODI and a barrel with no stopper. Set your timers my friends. I feel I will never be this lucky again in life.

Screenshot_20210212-011138_Gallery.jpg

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that, way to many times... do yourself a favor and get a float valve right now! I cant believe how long I went before this simple (and not really expensive) addition. No more timers, no more floods.

Attachments

• ABD52BD1-B04D-4686-88D8-3A676FFC482D.jpeg
    ABD52BD1-B04D-4686-88D8-3A676FFC482D.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 192

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there, actually.... well past that point and luckily we had planned to change the flooring soon anyway! Thank God I had drilled holes in the floor to get the skimmer intake air from outside and there was two other small holes from an old surround sound. That at least kept the water from getting high enough to fry all the power bricks!

They make smaller battery operated water alarms you could set beside the bucket when you’re refilling for a backup to the timer. Amazon is probably easiest place to find them

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there, actually.... well past that point and luckily we had planned to change the flooring soon anyway! Thank God I had drilled holes in the floor to get the skimmer intake air from outside and there was two other small holes from an old surround sound. That at least kept the water from getting high enough to fry all the power bricks!

They make smaller battery operated water alarms you could set beside the bucket when you’re refilling for a backup to the timer. Amazon is probably easiest place to find them
Thanks ya I might look into one just to have near the tank in case of emergency.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not put the alarm sensor in the bucket 1" from the top.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't shut off the waste line. I have gone through the BRS guides and cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Useful tool... if I could get it to work.
I have an auto shut off valve for my RO/DI water supply line, when pressure builds to a set point turns off supply. But only if you have a pressurized water tank that comes with most RO systems.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an auto shut off valve for my RO/DI water supply line, when pressure builds to a set point turns off supply. But only if you have a pressurized water tank that comes with most RO systems.
I have the shut off valve but I only have this hooked up to my garden hose faucet thing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't shut off the waste line. I have gone through the BRS guides and cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Useful tool... if I could get it to work.
It should just have a high pressure and low pressure side with the low pressure side after the membrane and the high pressure side before the membrane. When flow stops through the low pressure side it shuts off the high pressure side to stop flow into the membrane. They're easy to hook up and there may be a chance that your auto shut off valve is bad if it's hooked up correctly.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get RODI controllers for filling reservoirs and turning off once the sensors are reached. The XP Aqua Flood Guardian is one such system.

As others have mentioned, a tight lid with a float valve cut off will also prevent this (and costs less), you just need to remember to always use it.

Dennis

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have overflowed many buckets, now I fill them in the bathtub; I still overflow one from time to time.
I usually use a 20gal barrel but I just needed to fill up my ATO real quick and it was late so I rolled the dice. It was pure luck that I noticed when I did right before. But when might be a good idea for next time when I use the 5 gal buckets is to just stick the whole bucket in the sink. Just in case lol.....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back