When your bursts !

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone bigger and safer.
This tank had been sold to new owner & was due to be taken in about 7 weeks when new tank arrived
Very experienced builder
I am terrified to be honest & did think of selling , getting out
If new tank not already 1/2 done we would have just left
Cant wait to see you build up that monster :)

OP
OP
Lesley

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is resoundingly devastating but if theres any bright side, what you are doing to preserve the life in tow is skip cycling gold standard.

its horrendous to have to be using the science of preservation without cycle, but the CPR you are doing on this truly giant setup is amazing and gives others hope for similar instances. the live sand was not needed to keep ammonia at bay, those were incidental bacteria. the fact you moved delicates to a holding container and not a bunch of old sand already differentiates reactions here away from what a large percentage of reefers would have done fearing they couldn't live without the bacteria.

clearly you are exporting still w skimmer... its good aeration and the rocks were already well-kept before the event

above par tank care before is making a big difference now in no ammonia as relocation is underway

are you able to save/house most of those fantastic corals for preservation Im hoping?

We have housed all cuc cumber & abalone
I have moved Clams

I tried hard to. Move on the sps but unfortunately rtn set in very quickly and have no sps life left except 1 large green Monti that I think will be ok. Now I have decent lighting over the ibc

Yes I was thankful I maintained 0.02 nitrates at all times while the tank was running & obviously had a fantastic bacterial colony right down to denitrifying

But it concerns me greatly that I've gone from a 6ft sump with huge fuge to a simple skimmer ?

Will continue to test daily and cross my fingers

All the tangs seem to be ok ,no aggression as yet but that may change as new territory gets established in a much smaller environment
I will move stock on if it becomes an issue
Will do all I can to keep them safe & moved into their forever home
Thanks for your best wishes

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I can't even imagine going through all of that. My 240 front panel cracked a couple years back, but thankfully only dribbled water and I had no fish at that point. Even that freaked me out, as I figured it would shatter at any minute.

It's great to hear you had so many saves! Sorry for your losses though.

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the loss you have experience but at least you seemed prepared as much as anyone can be prepared for this type of situation. I guess you can call me paranoid and I've never dealt with a tank that burst, but I check every day the seams and look for signs of failure. Most generally tanks don't just decided to up and burst in one day and it's a slow process. I'm glad you feel the need to keep on going and get a new setup. Hopefully, you won't have to battle too hard with the insurance company.

I lost my 13-year-old 180-gallon tank in 2010 to a house fire. There was no saving and watching everything burn to the ground was heartbreaking, to say the least. It took almost 2 years to settle with the insurance company for a fire deemed not my fault. I left the hobby for good and just returned in 2016 and I can't say at times I don't worry about what happened. I never recouped what I had invested and not really even close. Yes, the insurance company was helpful at first then there came a point where they weren't so nice. I lost everything I owned except for the clothes on my back and my vehicle. It was emotionally devastating, to say the least.

Also, make sure you get it in writing on what it covers as most insurance may not cover such a disaster. Please don't take the word of a agent or sales person cause at the end of the day what you have in writing is what counts and not someone said was covered. I think people underestimate what a tank bursting can do in terms of water damage and even with smaller tanks and the larger ones are much worse.

Good Luck and Please keep us updated

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened but glad you saved a lot of the livestock. Had this happen on my 265 gallon 7 months ago as I leaving for work that morning. Thank goodness I was there since my wife was out of town. I was only able to save about 25% of my livestock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back