When your wife Hates Wrasses. Whats your go to for smaller reef safe fish ( 72 gallon)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ivanturgenev1-2x.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the same thing on another similar thread recently, but if you want to go small I'd recommend a green clown goby. They tend to live in corals (without harming them) and mine has zero issues with my clowns or my flame hawk. I've had him for 9 years. At 1" they hardly add to the bioload.
Phone 374.jpg
Those are cool!

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a captive bred coral beauty... never seen the ocean or a coral... My wife loves Flames, but the flame hawk will give us that red pop.
Got one from Biota and I wouldn’t trade it for the world! Amazing fish and great personality. Very active and is a model citizen. I would check out the Biota website if you want a captive bred.

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks can be extreme jerks

Yasha goby/peppermint pistol
Neon goby
Hector's goby
Single lyretail blue eyed anthias
Tomini tang
Pearly jawfish
Flame angelfish
Royal Gramma Basslet
Black cap Basslet
Any of the dottybacks

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said no wrasses but a McCoskers Flasher wrasse. Is gorgeous and they are always out.

Also others have mentioned royal grammar. I second that.

Basslets are nice but again they are not an open water swimmer is what I think your looking for.

Personally I would skip any dwarf angels if you want LPS. Not worth the risk.

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scissortail dartfish have extremely nice colours and are very active open water swimmers.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said no wrasses but a McCoskers Flasher wrasse. Is gorgeous and they are always out.

Also others have mentioned royal grammar. I second that.

Basslets are nice but again they are not an open water swimmer is what I think your looking for.

Personally I would skip any dwarf angels if you want LPS. Not worth the risk.
Yes I have a love for acans, scolys, wwlsos and other brains. We are skipping a dwarf angel, and just trying to decide on some other decent open water swimmers that won't get too big...

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agree I think some of the more peaceful damsels are really pretty. Why doesn’t your wife like wrasses though? :)

Tough situation man...... Have to be careful or else she’ll jump out. xD just kidding ahahaha

Maybe there is such thing as fish proof but not wife proof when it comes to jumping xDDDDD

But in all seriousness maybe she’ll change her mind when she sees a couple? I mean it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Amen.

Many Fairy Wrasses, some Halichoeres, Leopard Wrasses, and Hogfishes are very beautiful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agree I think some of the more peaceful damsels are really pretty. Why doesn’t your wife like wrasses though? :)

Tough situation man...... Have to be careful or else she’ll jump out. xD just kidding ahahaha

Maybe there is such thing as fish proof but not wife proof when it comes to jumping xDDDDD

But in all seriousness maybe she’ll change her mind when she sees a couple? I mean it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Amen.

Many Fairy Wrasses, some Halichoeres, Leopard Wrasses, and Hogfishes are very beautiful.
I'm nit sure why she does, but I show her a wrasse and it's a no... We had 3 in the old tank. Red coris, melanarius and a multicolored fairy wrasse. Loved them.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife loves our wrasse (Ruby longfin), but she yells at it whenever he goes on one of his little "rampages" and chases one of the bar gobies. TBH, he is really pretty well behaved. I'd say like a 4 on the aggression scale, with a 10 being a diadem psuedochromis. The bar gobies probably rank a 0. They could care less.

LeahAnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve got 6 blue reef chromis now. Figured that would be a good excuse to help the gobies come out. That was on the list to aquire next.
Orchid dottyback, they are beautiful and fun to watch. Mine hid at first now its all over the tank. Comes to watch me when im cleaning or feeding them. Shes best buds with jack my lawnmower blennie they share the same rock.

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO weve got fish in the tank, will be adding more down the line. Hawkfish will be last for many reasons, however were thinking other smaller fish to zoom around. My go to would be 2 or 3 fairy wrasses, but i need other ideas.

Current stock is:

Pair of clowns
Small One Spot Foxface
Bi Color Blenny
2 Captive Bred Kaudrens Cardinalfish
a few reef chromis.

WIll be adding a flame hawk, and we like the looks of the zebra barred darts too, but what else would you suggest... My wife is super into the hobby, so we want the most color we can get.
Smaller tangs are ideal, bristle tooth or Kole eye. Coral beauty or flame angelfish, in a peaceful community angels And hawkfish should be introduced last

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think there were any reef safe puffers?
I’ve kept mine with softies and lps with no issues. It never bothered my coral banded shrimp or snails aside from sizing them up and saying “nevermind, not worth the effort”. The only issue I ever had was with certain acropora that it just didn’t like that much for whatever reason.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tangs are ideal, bristle tooth or Kole eye. Coral beauty or flame angelfish, in a peaceful community angels And hawkfish should be introduced last
Yes. if we do both, they will be last. We want 3 of the zebra dartfish. Then its either a coral beauty, or 2 or so smaller fish, and then a hawkfish. Then we will dose pods monthly for the rest of the year, and then get a mandarin.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about an Angel nipping at corals have you thought about a Starcki Damsel? Looks a lot like a Dwarf Angel but without the coral nipping. Kinda pricey for a damsel though. Maybe worth checking out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back