Where are my shrimp going?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 6 months, I’ve had a Cleaner Shrimp and a Fire Shrimp. Got along peacefully, came out to eat at every single feeding and both molted regularly. About a month ago, my Cleaner just disappeared. Figured he went into hiding to molt again but never found a shed and he has been gone since. The Fire Shrimp seemed to go into hiding at the same time and stayed mostly in his little cave. He would dart out to grab food but then shoot back into hiding. Now he is missing also. No sign of either one anywhere.
About 2 weeks before the Cleaner went missing, I got a Diamond Goby. Could he possibly be killing and eating shrimp? They were both fairly large.
13.5 Evo
Mixed Reef
SG 1.025 refractometer
Ca 450(ish) Hanna
Alk 10-11 Hanna
Mg 1425(ish) Salifert
Phos .18 Hanna
Nitrate ~8 Salifert

Sandwinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 6 months, I’ve had a Cleaner Shrimp and a Fire Shrimp. Got along peacefully, came out to eat at every single feeding and both molted regularly. About a month ago, my Cleaner just disappeared. Figured he went into hiding to molt again but never found a shed and he has been gone since. The Fire Shrimp seemed to go into hiding at the same time and stayed mostly in his little cave. He would dart out to grab food but then shoot back into hiding. Now he is missing also. No sign of either one anywhere.
About 2 weeks before the Cleaner went missing, I got a Diamond Goby. Could he possibly be killing and eating shrimp? They were both fairly large.
13.5 Evo
Mixed Reef
SG 1.025 refractometer
Ca 450(ish) Hanna
Alk 10-11 Hanna
Mg 1425(ish) Salifert
Phos .18 Hanna
Nitrate ~8 Salifert
Never had my diamond goby go after any of my shrimp. I have a peppermint, a fire shrimp, and a cleaner shrimp. When i added the peppermint shrimp, i thought it died or was killed, never saw it, then one day had my flashlight looking behind rock structure and saw him living in back of rocks at bottom. He never comes out in the daytime. Fire shrimp hides alot, cleaner shrimp is always out.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint hide until the lights are off. My cardinals do nip at them though. I have also had a diamond gobby and a cleaner shrimp in the same tank (RS 170) and the only thing the gobby might have done is bury the shrimp in all his excavating.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back