Where are the nitrates coming from?

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 9 months old. I've had nitrates consistently around 20.(red sea test) but for awhile now they have been between 20 and 50 (test jumps 20 to 50 and it looks somewhere in between) i run a canister filter that I clean every week at wc ( rinse biomedia with tank water, rinse or change floss and rinse canister itself) i do 10g wc every week (tank has 57g) last week i put in a nitrate pad and I had been running biomedia on bottom and then foam pad then floss per canister filter instructions. I reversed that last week also. I don't overfeed. I have only two clowns and I drop only a few pellets at a time and they get almost all of them. I even had to let tank go fallow for 76 days and didn't feed tank and nitrates were still the same. I know some say canister filter but I clean that think good every week and even the hoses when they look dirty. Whats the deal?

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible you have decaying organic matter breaking down on the rock. A lot of guys "cure" their rock in a tub for a month or more. Was it live rock or dry rock?

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible you have decaying organic matter breaking down on the rock. A lot of guys "cure" their rock in a tub for a month or more. Was it live rock or dry rock?
Dry rock. This is a pic about a month into cycle.
20200725_102631.jpg

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a pretty normal cycle. I don't see any die off.

Assuming you are keeping those canisters clean and not over feeding, I'm a little stumped. Those nitrates are coming from somewhere.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting a turkey baster and blowing off the detritus from the live rock. Do you vacuum the sand bed?

Do you have a CUC?

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting a turkey baster and blowing off the detritus from the live rock. Do you vacuum the sand bed?

Do you have a CUC?
I've stirred the sand bed once before. I have 1 emerald crab 1 trochus snail 1 nassarius 1 tiger conch and 5 blue leg hermits. I know its not alot of cuc but the don't seem to have much to eat. They come running id I drop an algae pellet in there lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can be:
Poor filtration
Over feeding
Something spoiling in the tank
Keeping too many fish in a tank

wTer changes alleviate this as well as adding a pouch of chemipure elite which will keep phosphate and nitrate in check

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be:
Poor filtration
Over feeding
Something spoiling in the tank
Keeping too many fish in a tank

wTer changes alleviate this as well as adding a pouch of chemipure elite which will keep phosphate and nitrate in check
I have been feeding reef roids 2x a week for a month or so to raise phosphate (and for corals too) my phosphate were at 0.02 and I wanted to raise a little. They are now at 0.06

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been feeding reef roids 2x a week for a month or so to raise phosphate (and for corals too) my phosphate were at 0.02 and I wanted to raise a little. They are now at 0.06
That may be your source right there

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stirred the sand bed once before. I have 1 emerald crab 1 trochus snail 1 nassarius 1 tiger conch and 5 blue leg hermits. I know its not alot of cuc but the don't seem to have much to eat. They come running id I drop an algae pellet in there lol
Stirred or actually vacuumed? I'd suggest vacuuming the sandbed. You'll be shocked at the amount of gunk that comes out. Maybe do 15% of the sand bed during your weekly water changes.

I see you mentioned feeding Reef Roids. That will absolutely increase your nitrates maybe cut back to feeding once a week.

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention reefroids earlier. You said just a few pellets for the clowns.
I thought reef roids would raise phosphate not nitrate. The nitrates were still 20 before I started reef roids. It may have went up some because of reef roids but it was 20 during fallow and no feeding. I'm going to do a 40% wc this week and see if that helps and see if it goes up again.

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stirred or actually vacuumed? I'd suggest vacuuming the sandbed. You'll be shocked at the amount of gunk that comes out. Maybe do 15% of the sand bed during your weekly water changes.

I see you mentioned feeding Reef Roids. That will absolutely increase your nitrates maybe cut back to feeding once a week.
I haven't tried to vacuum. How do you do it without sucking up the sand?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you measured your nitrites? Which red sea test do you use - the normal or the Pro. If nitrates goes up and down quickly - there is normally an interference taking place. Nitrite interference is huge among most nitrate tests.

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put in a nitrate pad

What does that mean to you?

FWIW, there is no material that is going to bind nitrate out of seawater. Such filters, if they work at all, do so by binding and exporting organic matter before it can break down. If it is not collecting substantial organic mater, it isn't helping.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried to vacuum. How do you do it without sucking up the sand?

Assuming you have something similar to this, it isn't too terribly complicated.

Just fold the hose over itself to constrict the water flow when you start sucking up too much sand. There is a point were you're vacuuming detritus but not sand. You'll need to squeeze and release at certain times to manage the flow. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
3NGIjIVP1587914860-700x700.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back