Where did my nitrates go?

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been in the hobby for almost a year and could use some help.

Currently I have zero nitrates in my tank. Almost 90% of my tank is zoas and they have always struggled. They were faded, small polyps, and partially closed. I consulted with a couple of LFS and other ppl in the reefing community and was told zoas like a higher nutrients in the tank and I was told to increase my nitrate level. My tank makeup and parameters are listed below and the actions I have taken.

1. 60 gallon tank
2. 30 gallon sump with refugium with macro algae
3. Running Chemipure Blue
4. Marine pure block
5. Vertex 150 skimmer
6. Radion G4 XR30 lights they run 9 hours per day
7. Fish consist of sailfin tang, and six line wrasse
8. Alk runs between 8-9
9. Cal around 450
10. Mag 1400
11. Temp 78.5
12. Nitrates Zero
13. Phosphates 0.03ppm
14. No ammonia
15. No nitrites
16. pH runs around 8.15 to 8.3
17. Normal CUC
18. Fed the fish frozen food once per day
19. Dry rock in the refugium that has been cured.

Following are the steps I have taken to boost nitrate level with no success

1. Removed the marine pure block
2. Removed the chemipure blue
3. Removed 90% of macro algae (was the size of a volleyball now smaller than a baseball)
4. Adjusted skimmer. Before skimmate was tea like in color, now it is almost black.
5. Added two clowns and two cardinals.
6. Feed twice a day
7. Bought a different nitrate test kit to verify results

The only way I was successful in raising nitrates was to dose nitrates. At first I went slow and was dosing 5ml of ME Nitrate daily. I would verify after an hour the nitrate level went up to 2ppm. Within 24 hours my nitrates were back to zero. I am now dosing 8-10ml of ME Nitrate daily and when I retest the nitrate levels have fallen to 0.25ppm.

So where are my nitrates going? I can't figure out what is stripping my nitrates out of the water. The dosing of nitrates is addressing a symptom and not the problem. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help,

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you just don't have enough of a bioload in your tank to add any significant nitrate. The clowns, cardinals, and wrasse are likely on the smaller side and are not producing enough waste. How big is your sailfin?

You almost have a problem that I, along with many others, envy. Your nutrient export methods far exceed your nutrient production. I would be weary of how fast you make changes to your biological filtration. If done too quickly, you may see a spike in nutrients which could fare worse for your corals.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be good filtration and low bio load.

What salt are using.

Dosing anything?

What's your cleaning schedule and maintenance like.

To be honest it better to have nil nitrate and dose than run away nitrates.

OP
OP
Swaefa

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be good filtration and low bio load.

What salt are using. HW salt from Bulk Reef Supply

Dosing anything? Dosing Alk and Cal daily using an Neptune DOS

What's your cleaning schedule and maintenance like. Water change every two weeks and clean glass every 3-4 days

To be honest it better to have nil nitrate and dose than run away nitrates.

OP
OP
Swaefa

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you just don't have enough of a bioload in your tank to add any significant nitrate. The clowns, cardinals, and wrasse are likely on the smaller side and are not producing enough waste. How big is your sailfin?

You almost have a problem that I, along with many others, envy. Your nutrient export methods far exceed your nutrient production. I would be weary of how fast you make changes to your biological filtration. If done too quickly, you may see a spike in nutrients which could fare worse for your corals.

Sailfin is approx. 4 inches

Thanks for the feedback

lariat8099

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you dose nitrates? I have the same thing as the person posting this thread. I have Zoas that are tiny but sroons and palys that are doing well. Please advise..............

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you dose nitrates? I have the same thing as the person posting this thread. I have Zoas that are tiny but sroons and palys that are doing well. Please advise..............

Make a solution of sodium or potassium nitrate and add it to the tank like other supplements. Many people do this, and there are lots of threads around with suggested products (say, food grade from amazon or other suppliers) and calculators to figure doses. :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a large skimmer that’s aerates a lot, your pH indicate that it has an excellent gas exchanging capacity. Depending how high your main turnover rate is and the construction of the sump – you can´t exclude that a lot of nitrogen will be aerated out trough the skimmer as NH3, hence your internal production line NH4/NH3->NO2->NO3 will be much lower. But I prefer a skimmer like yours and to ad NO3 if I run low in available nitrogen. Do not lower the aeration in the skimmer.

Sincerely Lasse

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem and started feeding more flake and pellets and it helped tremendously. I think most frozen foods just don't carry a lot of nutrients in it ( depends on what frozen cubes your feeding) I was just feeding Mysis for a little bit and once I switched to flakes and pellets as well my nitrates came back and are perfect now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t dosing potassium nitrate lead to a potassium increase in your tank ?

It might, but only slowly. Still, sodium nitrate can be a better choice if that is a concern. I'd use sodium nitrate over potassium since potassium did not deplete in my tank, but many people find it does..

If you maintain alk and calcium with a DIY two part, that method may slowly deplete potassium. :)

lariat8099

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the links out there on a food grade product and how to use it?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to dose nitrates you could use calcium nitrate available at some feed and seed type stores.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to start dosing sodium nitrate (using the same stuff Randy linked above) and it's helping quite a bit. I recently upgraded to a larger tank and I simply did not have enough of a bioload to keep nutrients detectable and my sps were not having it. I have fish in QT now, so there's long term help on the way, but in the meantime, this method works well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back