where do I submit FAQ questions? -I got one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a question for BRS to investigate. not sure where is the best place to submit it so i'll do it here.

so my question is:
in relation to coast vs effectiveness
using a cheaper salt like basic IO then adding extra mag & ca and other trace elements vs using a so called "better" salt with higher levels of Ca, Mag & trace elements.

hope that makes since.
I think it would be a great topic for BRS to investigate.
cheers
Deva

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Deva!

This is a great observation and question! I know a few people that do just this, even to salt like blue bucket Red Sea Salt. We sometimes add dry chemicals to our 200gal water mix station to boost up the levels!

I'm not sure the term "better salt" really applies to a situation like this, because most reefers equate quality of salt to the purity and quality of the chemicals used to make it. Amongst all the salt mix producers, there may be some that use commercial/food grade chemicals, some may use pharmaceutical, while others may use a more pure laboratory/medical grade.

Thank you so much for your question! I'll see if it is one we can explore a bit more deeply. ;-)

-Randy

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FAQ question too, "Are you going to add anymore livestock to the BRS160?"

We've added a bit here and there, mostly by way of clean up crew and inverts. We had a Radiant Wrasse ready to add several months ago, after the monti-eating nudibranch debacle, but after seeing the agression in a Six Line Wrasse that's in there we decided against adding him. :)

-Randy

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've added a bit here and there, mostly by way of clean up crew and inverts. We had a Radiant Wrasse ready to add several months ago, after the monti-eating nudibranch debacle, but after seeing the agression in a Six Line Wrasse that's in there we decided against adding him. :)

-Randy
@randyBRS maybe you could help me with my fish selection for my RSR250. I have four nano class size fish in there now and plan to add another plus a single wrasse for the tank (for a total of 6 nano fish). I would like to have a sixline, I liked the one I had in the past, wasn't aggressive (yet?), and was wondering if the BRS160's 6line is aggressive to other wrasses mostly or what other fish?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS maybe you could help me with my fish selection for my RSR250. I have four nano class size fish in there now and plan to add another plus a single wrasse for the tank (for a total of 6 nano fish). I would like to have a sixline, I liked the one I had in the past, wasn't aggressive (yet?), and was wondering if the BRS160's 6line is aggressive to other wrasses mostly or what other fish?

Great time for an update! Thanks for the question! :)

So, the initial aggression we saw from the Six Line was towards the Twin Spot Gobies. After they were gone, we didn't see him bother too many fish. Fast forward to last week, we moved the Radiant Wrasse into the BRS160 and were a bit skeptical if they would get along. Here we are, nearly a week later, and still no aggression between the two. :)

Some things to keep in mind here, every fish is a bit different and I couldn't say with certainty that any other Six Line is going to act the same as ours. Also, this is in a fairly large tank with plenty of room for territory between multiple wrasse species. What we've seen could be a product of that itself. ;)

-Randy

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, the initial aggression we saw from the Six Line was towards the Twin Spot Gobies. After they were gone, we didn't see him bother too many fish. Fast forward to last week, we moved the Radiant Wrasse into the BRS160 and were a bit skeptical if they would get along. Here we are, nearly a week later, and still no aggression between the two. :)

Some things to keep in mind here, every fish is a bit different and I couldn't say with certainty that any other Six Line is going to act the same as ours. Also, this is in a fairly large tank with plenty of room for territory between multiple wrasse species. What we've seen could be a product of that itself. ;)

-Randy
What happened to the twin spot gobies? :(

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy
@randyBRS thanks for the answer, I'm glad all of them seem to be getting along now. Maybe you could answer another question about the nudibranchs in the BRS160 as well? If there was a way to take out all the corals, could the tank be treated so as to kill all the sea slugs?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS thanks for the answer, I'm glad all of them seem to be getting along now. Maybe you could answer another question about the nudibranchs in the BRS160 as well? If there was a way to take out all the corals, could the tank be treated so as to kill all the sea slugs?

Hey there!

Personally, I would rather seek out a natural predator like a wrasse to eradicate them. If that weren't an option, you could remove the monti's as best as possible and treat them with a dip regimen. You may have to also house the dipped monti's in a quarantine tank, while the remaining nudibranchs die off from lack of a "food" source. This takes time and space for another tank, so the first option fits best for me. :)

-Randy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back