Where does a successful reef tank start? How about water. | The BRS/WWC System Ep6 | BRStv

What's your favorite salt mix? (Comment if not on the list.)

• Tropic Marin

Votes: 77 8.7%
  • Aquaforest

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Fritz Reef Pro

Votes: 112 12.7%
  • Instant Ocean (RC/Reg)

Votes: 295 33.5%
  • HW Marinemix

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • Red Sea (Blue Bucket)

Votes: 134 15.2%
  • Red Sea (Coral Pro)

Votes: 134 15.2%
  • Brightwell NeoMarine

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • ESV

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • TLF Accurasea

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Vibrant

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Kent Marine Reef Salt

Votes: 11 1.2%
  • Coralife Marine Reef Salt

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, it's Friday!

And that means the next episode of the BRS/WWC Hybrid System is finally here!! :D

Today we take our first step into creating a simple and stable reef tank using a combination of BRS combined knowledge and WWC's method and with that, we aim to prove how ANY reefer can find similar results and create awesome reef tanks using the same system no matter what you choose for tank size or equipment!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VOTED!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro since day one but never try another brand. Happy with the results and the way mix.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the Red Sea Pro salt for about two months now. I mix in 5 gallon batches and they are consistent in salinity, alk, calcium and PH. Mg runs a tad lower than I link, but I dose that in my top off so it's no big deal.

It mixes quickly and noticed little to no calcium caking like Instant ocean salt used to do. All the corals do seem to be happy as well so Unless something changes I'll probably stick with it.

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz because it's so readily available in Houston, TX. I am attracted to the "clout" of Red Sea but haven't found any scientific reason to switch

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tropic Marin pro reef but it’s too expensive. I used the Red Sea blue bucket to keep the costs down a bit, but when I hit the $1 billion mega millions tonight it’ll be back to tropic Marin for me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using @Fritz Aquatics Reef Pro salt and my tank is doing so well with corals growing and algae almost non-existent. That being said I know you can be successful with many many other brands. This for me is doing a great job!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Live Aquaria reef salt, no complaints so far.

Edit: I no longer can recommend this salt. I have had some issues with this salt, but my main complaint has been the LA "customer service" I have received when dealing with these issues.

Last edited:

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am cycling, and previously mentioned, will be following this. If I had to guess, I'm a bit between the high end and the middle road.

For my RODI, I am using the 7 stage RODI with cation, anion, and mixed. I was running the basic 6 stage 150gpd unit, but I was going through a canister of resin about every 4 months. Not bad. Since I switched, I haven't changed my resin once, and the cation ion is virtually full still, my anion is about to be changed out, I have approximately 4" left, and the mixed is full. I forget how long this has been up, but I have to guess since just after christmas when the anion got back in stock. That's a clear win, and the anion is being used faster since my water is high in sulfates/sulfur judging from the smell.

For salt, ATI recommends a dKh of 7-8 with their Essentials program, and the Red Sea Blue Bucket fits that bill. They recommend no water changes unless you need to export nutrients such as nitrate/phosphate, as their dosing program will replace the trace elements.

My TDS before it enters the resin stages is usually between 4-6, so I'm pretty sure that my membranes are still viable and functioning at a high rejection rate. That said, going on 3 years with them, I probably need to change them out, but I have an awful time removing the water tubing going into the the murlock connectors, so unless I need to do it, I'm not going to.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix but after watching this weeks BRS/WWC System Ep6 | BRStv I am looking at switching to the Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt for my systems.

Cleaner mixing tanks is always going to be a win with me and I voted as well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above...

Using the DD H2Ocean Pro+, salt mix over here.

Great parameters, and it looks ;Wideyed like it come's right out of Red Sea's plant in Israel... :D
Even says made in Israel on the batch #'s.

Keeps my cal reactor tuned with the parameter's that I ran, when making water changes.

:)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love it if you did ICP tests on the salts you sell, ideally every quarter but even semi-annually or annually. It wouldn't be all that cost prohibitive. I would buy salt based off your results. Yes, one can argue that lots will vary, but it's far better than nothing and we don’t really know if significant differences will occur between lots, but we could find out with your quarterly testing. Also would be nice to test alk/ca/mg too.

When Triton was unveiled from UC 1st thing I did was test my salt. This is 4 years old already (!!!!!) but it was very interesting and RC looked good. I was able to identify a problem with ESV which the owner fixed based off me reporting it. Having you look into potential issues and report back to the manufacture would be even more valuable!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test.176536/

Excited to see the rest of the series. Great to see a company giving back to the community.

Last edited:

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0E29D072-B61C-4073-A7C4-C812EFCE324D.png
Here’s a list of popular salt mix results.
I personally still use Reg old IO.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried about 1/3 of the salt on that list. The only two that didn't let me down are Red Sea, and Instant Ocean...

I'm sure Instant Ocean and Red Sea screwed up a few batches too, I would bet the house they did, it's almost impossible not to.. But in my experience, they're the only two companies that haven't. While the rest of the companies I've tried consistently screw up most batches so badly it must be on purpose.

Hell, I've literally found chunks of metal and discarded trash in AquaForest salt, and it took them almost a month of daily heckling to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back