Where does a successful reef tank start? How about water. | The BRS/WWC System Ep6 | BRStv

What's your favorite salt mix? (Comment if not on the list.)

• Tropic Marin

Votes: 77 8.7%
  • Aquaforest

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Fritz Reef Pro

Votes: 112 12.7%
  • Instant Ocean (RC/Reg)

Votes: 295 33.5%
  • HW Marinemix

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • Red Sea (Blue Bucket)

Votes: 134 15.2%
  • Red Sea (Coral Pro)

Votes: 134 15.2%
  • Brightwell NeoMarine

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • ESV

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • TLF Accurasea

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Vibrant

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Kent Marine Reef Salt

Votes: 11 1.2%
  • Coralife Marine Reef Salt

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fun to test how much water each of these salts really makes and get a real cost per gallon mixed to a specific salinity. I got a feeling some of them are being somewhat creative. Like is it really 160 or 200 gallons at 1.026 (34.5 ppt) or is it 1.020 (26.5 ppt)?

The instant ocean will always be the cheapest. However, with the rest, I'm guessing when the cost per gallon is evaluated it might not be as straightforward as common packaging/marketing suggests.
Found these 2 information bits 2 years ago when looking at salts. Figures I just deleted the one that answers your question about prices and mix, but I found it again.
Started with RSCP for 1 year. Switched to RC for a year. Then switched to IO for 10 months.

smaller-screenshot.jpg

IMG_2331.PNG

joesaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason to think that using real seawater will produce great results? I have been using filtered and ozoned seawater off Southern California coast and my reef tank loves it.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys finally hit on what I've been saying for years..."It's the water ,stupid"....see alot of nice reef tanks in CA and FLA ?...its the water...whether its from a municipality or a well some people just live in an area where the water is great for a reef tank... if you don't ..you can still have a decent reef tank -but you're gonna have to filter the hell out of it to get there...start by analyzing YOUR water as it comes out of the tap..I recommend a high quality independent lab..Municipalities often give you basic results for things that will will tell you if their water is potable...but don't tell all...once you know what YOUR water contains-you can tailor filtration to get decent water for your reef tank.....I could say a whole lot more about this ,but most people will scoff at my posting...but one day you'll wake up and realize what it's all about - the quality of your tap water.....

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used IO for three decades and the only time I had salt attibuted issues is when I switched for a sale or was asked to try a bucket by a salesman.

I will stick with RO/DI and IO.

Can't argue with 30 years.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason to think that using real seawater will produce great results? I have been using filtered and ozoned seawater off Southern California coast and my reef tank loves it.

I used Scripps water for a couple of years before moving to Okinawa and then collected NSW there as well; tanks never looked better.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I have a favorite as I haven't tried them all. I use the regular Red Sea salt for the experiment reef tank because I like the levels.
I use the Coral life for thr 180 fish only cause it's cheaper & has a higher alk level. I mix a "lot" of water with 2 tanks & bi weekly water changes . Also not surprised that good ole Instant ocean is the choice so far .

Last edited:

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Brightwell Neomarine since about 5 years. My levels in the tank stay steady, my dosing regimen is steady making small adjustments when the tank is growing.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Seachem's Reef Salt was discontinued I start using the Vibrandt. Still using it today but my LFS doesn't stock it. I may switch back to to Reef Crystals

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with Instant Ocean for about 8 months, been using Salinity for 12, and I can't tell a difference in my results. Will probably go back to instant ocean.

Jrvaldeznm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other Aquavitro Salinity users? There is so little info about user experiences on this salt and most of the reviews were from several years back so I am curious.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using aquavitro salinity since I started my tank.

The good:

Matches what the bucket says
Coral seem to really like it (after it clears) note, I don't have sps. I only have LPS dominant tank.

The bad:

No matter how you mix it you get precipitation. Leaves a nice gray film on everything. No matter how you store it, it never clears till it goes in the tank. Then it takes an hour or so to clear. Before it clears up the coral typically aren't to happy. Once it clears you get great clarity and coral extension. It kind of defys logic. I spoke with seachem about this. They told me you can put it in 30 minutes to infinity after mixing. I've tried it every which way and nothing changes it. I run nearly NSW levels so it matches what I like. I haven't desided if I'll change once I get closer to running out.

It's a give and take salt. But the cloudiness has always worried me. My coral do okay with it AFTER the tank clears. My concern if I do have an already stressed coral one day the added stress of the tank before it clears my become an issue. I've seen some say they never get cloudy water and so on. I've used 3 buckets and nothing has changes and I've tried everything imaginable to try to make it not happen. The biggest issue is when I dump it in the tank it still has some crystal solids in it. These solids end up on everything and slowly dissappear. I'd imagine this isn't good. I don't want to bash the salt as I've seen a few with success from using it. But there seems to be more with complaints than there is of those that can show long term success.

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using aquavitro salinity since I started my tank...

Sounds like you have had nothing but bad experiences with this salt (relative to what people generally say about their salt mix). Any reason you haven't decided to make a change yet? How long have you had your tank?

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just under 6 months so I can't say it's good one way or the other. I haven't ditched the salt yet because it does mix as stated on the bucket. Not to mention I had coraline already at 3 months My coral seem to do okay, except for right after the water change. My concern with changing is to end up with something worse. My concern with keeping it is to end up being another statistic. Aquavitro mixes nearly the exact same parameters that my tank likes.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. New bucket mixed like I always have. Now I have issues with dkh. Of course that's how it would end up. I was on the fense but decided to not change what was working. I mixed some salt today (like I always have and how seachem told me too). Calc and mag are good but the dkh is what off. Here's some pics And yes all my equipment is properly calibrated.

20181206_064259.jpg

20181206_064039.jpg

20181206_063456.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-063539_Chrome.jpg

20181206_063141.jpg

20181206_062815.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back