Where is Ideal Apex Probe Placement?

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the probes in the 3rd chamber of my REEFER625 sump, with the skimmer -is this a good spot or is another more ideal?
Thanks
1B76C13A-BEE3-431F-B9CB-475D948CCE3B.jpeg

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid the skimmer chamber due to micro bubbles. I keep mine in the return chamber.
I was thinking the constantly changing water height, potentially leaving them dry, would be the main reason to avoid the return chamber…
but I agree lack of microbubbles is a plus.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid the skimmer chamber due to micro bubbles. I keep mine in the return chamber.
Same place, for the same reason.

If you have an ATO, the return chamber is never empty. If it is, you have bigger problems then a dry probe!

Roca1357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in the return chamber. This is mostly since my sump is just a skimmer and return chamber. The skimmer chamber has a Kalk dosing line so the probe is as far away from that dosing line as possible.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing, I keep mine in the skimmer chamber. Don't notice any issues. I would put it in the crash box, but I have my trident there.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people go so far as using an inline probe holder manifold:

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.38.49 PM.png

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in the Refugium section.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people go so far as using an inline probe holder manifold:

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.38.49 PM.png
@Megability this will be a very good option for Apex probes once Adaptive Reef fixes the problem. This particular model won't fit the Apex temperature probe since it is a different diameter. However the manufacturer, Adaptive Reef, is now working on that problem.

Personally I avoid the return chamber for probes because that is where I dose my additives into and that would skew readings if the probes read the water parameters with much increased concentrations. As the additives leave the return chamber into the display tank they are mixed with display tank water and "diluted" by a higher volume of water. When the tank water gets back to the skimmer chamber the additive concentration is normalized.

Now it looks like we have a solution to the microbubbles of the skimmer in the skimmer chamber. Enter the SPS Kit by Vivid Creative Aquatics. (Salinity Probe Stability Kit).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Megability this will be a very good option for Apex probes once Adaptive Reef fixes the problem. This particular model won't fit the Apex temperature probe since it is a different diameter. However the manufacturer, Adaptive Reef, is now working on that problem.

Personally I avoid the return chamber for probes because that is where I dose my additives into and that would skew readings if the probes read the water parameters with much increased concentrations. As the additives leave the return chamber into the display tank they are mixed with display tank water and "diluted" by a higher volume of water. When the tank water gets back to the skimmer chamber the additive concentration is normalized.

Now it looks like we have a solution to the microbubbles of the skimmer in the skimmer chamber. Enter the SPS Kit by Vivid Creative Aquatics. (Salinity Probe Stability Kit).
If I need an additional $30 part to make my (pretty useless) salinity probe read right, I'll throw the probe in the trash, and use a reliable refractometer.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I need an additional $30 part to make my (pretty useless) salinity probe read right, I'll throw the probe in the trash, and use a reliable refractometer.
@homer1475 It's up to you dude. But a decent refractometer is going to cost just as much or more and it's a meter and not a monitor like the probe.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know(least those that have been using the apex for a while) the salinity probe is flaky, why add an additional layer to an already flaky probe that may or may not read right to begin with? The problem is, some people come to trust that probe, and thats where problems start. So adding an additional $30 part to supposedly make the flaky probe work better, is only asking for problems.

Personally I think apex should ditch that probe, or charge more for a better probe that may actually work.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know(least those that have been using the apex for a while) the salinity probe is flaky, why add an additional layer to an already flaky probe that may or may not read right to begin with? The problem is, some people come to trust that probe, and thats where problems start. So adding an additional $30 part to supposedly make the flaky probe work better, is only asking for problems.

Personally I think apex should ditch that probe, or charge more for a better probe that may actually work.
@homer1475 there's some hinting of a Trident 2.0. Nitrate and Phosphate monitoring anyone? It would be cool to add an additional test to the 2.0. A decent salinity test !!!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think with the influx in cash from the BRS merger, neptune would be working on a trident 2.0, or at the very least a "better" apex, and not that playschool orange thing they debuted a few years back.

There is a reason I haven't bought the "new" apex, and stick to my "classic".

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think with the influx in cash from the BRS merger, neptune would be working on a trident 2.0, or at the very least a "better" apex, and not that playschool orange thing they debuted a few years back.

There is a reason I haven't bought the "new" apex, and stick to my "classic".
@homer1475 the thing I'm waiting for Neptune to do is come up with a WAV Jr. I'm sick of cheapo wavemakers that cost a fortune and the standard WAV is too big for my Reefer 250. Wavemakers have changed very little since the Vortech came out almost 15 years ago. Then recently gyre style wavemakers came on the scene. But that's about it.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are somewhat derailing this thread......

I run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao pp8's, and a gyre, but recently bought a nero 3 to put flow in a dead spot. Love that little guy for the amount of water it can push, and how quiet it is. Have you given them a thought at all? Not cheap per se, but not as expensive as some other options either.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back