Where to buy healthy clams?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my wits end with Buying clams from Divers Den. I have tried four over the past few months and all have died within a week and two have gone up in smoke overnight. These clams seem to look great upon receiving but I am guessing they are very sick by the time I get them because of the speed of their death. My water parameters are perfect and I even boosted nutrients a bit prior to getting the clams to give them some goodies to feed on while establishing (SG 1.026, dKH 6.8-7.2, pH 8.0, Ca 440, Mg 1380, PO4 < .03, Nitrate < 10, Temp 80-81). On the recommendation of LA I have been drip acclimating for 3 hrs+ and have been placing them in a low flow low bother area (my very well lit refugium) which removes all sources of irritation. I have plenty of other difficult to care for critters (anemones, acro's etc) and have kept clams successfully in the past. Actually found them previously to be quite bomb proof if provided a good stable environment. My question is where are you all buying and receiving healthy specimens? I am sick of killing a bunch of animals so thank you in advance for any help!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is tidal Gardens or WWC that breed clams. They have a whole facility dedicated to calms. I have heard good things about both of them so maybe start their?

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know more people have to be buying and keeping clams!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is farming clams these days.

Used to be a guy named Barry, ran ClamsDirect, but he's been gone for years. Sold some top shelf stuff though...

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is farming clams these days.

Used to be a guy named Barry, ran ClamsDirect, but he's been gone for years. Sold some top shelf stuff though...

I had bought a crocea from clams direct about 5 or 6 years ago. It is no longer under my care but is very much happy and living. I was sad to see they shut down when I got back into the hobby last year :(

Thanks for the suggestion on ORA clams. I know live aquaria sells clams shipped directly from ORA's FL facility the only thing that keeps me from pressing buy is the size they sell them. 1-1.5" is super tiny and I doubt the success of successfully rearing them from this size. But if anyone has experiences to the contrary I would love to hear!

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had great success with those small ORA clams purchased both from LA and LFS's. My past experience with clams is very similar to yours. It seemed like they were almost bullet proof and very easy to keep alive and grow even if you were having problems with other tank inhabitants. I have tried several times in the last year with various clams with little to no success even though my SPS are growing well and holding color and my Magnifica anemone and two Gigantea anemones are thriving. However in the last two to three months I have bought a Cocos Island Squamosa and a Derasa, both from my LFS that purchased them from a guy in California. These are finally doing well and have actually put on growth since I have had them. Since these have been doing well, I just purchased a 4" blue maxima from the same dealer/wholesaler combo. It seems that a lot of the clams for sale these days are not doing well when purchased. All of the clams that I have lost over the last year showed no shell growth which makes me think that they were starving and on their way out before I even purchased them.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had great success with those small ORA clams purchased both from LA and LFS's. My past experience with clams is very similar to yours. It seemed like they were almost bullet proof and very easy to keep alive and grow even if you were having problems with other tank inhabitants. I have tried several times in the last year with various clams with little to no success even though my SPS are growing well and holding color and my Magnifica anemone and two Gigantea anemones are thriving. However in the last two to three months I have bought a Cocos Island Squamosa and a Derasa, both from my LFS that purchased them from a guy in California. These are finally doing well and have actually put on growth since I have had them. Since these have been doing well, I just purchased a 4" blue maxima from the same dealer/wholesaler combo. It seems that a lot of the clams for sale these days are not doing well when purchased. All of the clams that I have lost over the last year showed no shell growth which makes me think that they were starving and on their way out before I even purchased them.

The observation about the lack of new growth upon purchase is spot on. I'm going to reef-a-palooza tomorrow and will hunt around and see if anyone has good looking ones with nice solid growth bands. I'd love to pick their brain and see if they have any insight or input.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The observation about the lack of new growth upon purchase is spot on. I'm going to reef-a-palooza tomorrow and will hunt around and see if anyone has good looking ones with nice solid growth bands. I'd love to pick their brain and see if they have any insight or input.
Update?

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered 2 clams from Live Aquaria. They both arrived healthy. I didn't acclimate the first one slow enough and he showed signs of Pinched Mantle disease after a couple days and went on a slow decline. The second one has been thriving for over a month now.

Watch the salinity when you drip acclimate. It can take a long time for the shipping water to match the tank water. even longer than 3 hours if there is a significant difference

y4mUAi-MtMrUKL6eq0HXEvCoLMqTB5LwMJZUBIClSR3Jk0IIQHN_-RlCwj-CQW153rNilsV6_MrMkbyoKe-BhP13t088uw96ESRr9TmmDRe2KQY_07HdXwmd8NInzXfPG5m1sI3Hw95aQqMXA9TPEN5d68JIHddAC3RMmIV2vUhlABqww0fBUKubKNzTnCJf5Q3Sex2UWJvcmzNfCbAEaGkOg

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered 2 clams from Live Aquaria. They both arrived healthy. I didn't acclimate the first one slow enough and he showed signs of Pinched Mantle disease after a couple days and went on a slow decline. The second one has been thriving for over a month now.

Watch the salinity when you drip acclimate. It can take a long time for the shipping water to match the tank water. even longer than 3 hours if there is a significant difference

y4mUAi-MtMrUKL6eq0HXEvCoLMqTB5LwMJZUBIClSR3Jk0IIQHN_-RlCwj-CQW153rNilsV6_MrMkbyoKe-BhP13t088uw96ESRr9TmmDRe2KQY_07HdXwmd8NInzXfPG5m1sI3Hw95aQqMXA9TPEN5d68JIHddAC3RMmIV2vUhlABqww0fBUKubKNzTnCJf5Q3Sex2UWJvcmzNfCbAEaGkOg

I'm curious did you buy divers den clams or live aquaria ones shipped from quality marine in California?

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready to buy a clam but I could imagine spending the $150 for a clam that has a 50% survival rate! There's a few lfs in NYC that have blue clams. Would I be better off buying one from there? Any other tips or places to buy healthy clams online?

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready to buy a clam but I could imagine spending the $150 for a clam that has a 50% survival rate! There's a few lfs in NYC that have blue clams. Would I be better off buying one from there? Any other tips or places to buy healthy clams online?

If you live in NYC pieces of the ocean has beautiful clams they just typically run about $150+.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best clams and healthiest when I can go get them personally. I ask where they were harvested or grown. Look for pests, proper functioning (light retractions), no torn foot, etc.

I have never ordered a clam but have raised many from tiny to larger. I found so far the perfect maxima (as these seem to be the hardest to get longevity on in my system) was 4" in size and was harvested from Marshall Islands (I think I remember that right). I got it in Chicago at the Aquatic Experience. It is gorgeous and has been through the ringer in my tank. It is currently residing in a homemade prison due to my puffer. It is still happy though.

I am sorry you have been having bad luck. Clams are tricky creatures.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the leads on getting some healthier specimens, it is much appreciated. From this thread and insight from some other fellow reefers the consensus list seems to be as follows, in no particular order.

1. Divers Den - cocos aquacultured clams the night they post only (something about divers den keeping clams in very nutrient poor waters)
2. Pieces of the Ocean
3. Reefwise
4. Pacific East Aquaculture

I will be ordering from one of these vendors in the next few months and will update. I Probably will order a DD Cocos clam, the guarantee unfortunately can't be beat. If that fails then one of the other 3 vendors will be next. Thanks again for your help everyone!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back