Where to get economical polycarbonate?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to make a lid for my aquarium to discourage carper surfing and was planning of using polycarbonate for a little easier drilling/cutting.

Currently have glass, with a gap at the back for the HOB and return pipe, but want to close this off. Plan is to have a pegboard-style panel with lots of holes to allow for air circulation.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I can obtain economical polycarbonate panels?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An online plastics shop may be your best bet, something like tap plastics is a staple and has been around, but shipping can get you.

If you want to risk it, you can try getting a piece of that sort of corrugated open-center translucent polycarbonate - I ordered a sheet from home Depot (had to be delivered to the store) and ended up with a quarter inch thick of solid clear polycarbonate :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I hear ya on those. Unfortunately unless they’re clear (I’ve only seen white) they’re not gonna pass the Spouse Acceptance Factor test.
I'm using the white egg crate on my rimless cube, its more tolerable than you think. Almost translucent and is more forgiving to par loss.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to make a lid for my aquarium to discourage carper surfing and was planning of using polycarbonate for a little easier drilling/cutting.

Currently have glass, with a gap at the back for the HOB and return pipe, but want to close this off. Plan is to have a pegboard-style panel with lots of holes to allow for air circulation.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I can obtain economical polycarbonate panels?
Are you referring to clear polycarbonate like a Plex panel or the usually used twin wall polycarbonate?

Go to 3:50-ish

Pretty sure both plexiglass and plexiglass like poly ( you know looks like glass) warp over an aquarium.
Sag or warp....

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular polycarbonate will sag if the span is long enough regardless of thickness. The stuff they use for green houses which is the twinwall will not since its structure style is more rigid.
If you do have a local plastics shop it would usually be a lot cheaper to get it from them (even custom cut) or sometimes they have minimally damaged/unsellable sizes that might suit your purpose that they will straight up give you.

Below is an example of my friends 1/2" polycarbonate sheets on his 375 with a very noticable sag.

Attachments

• 20230408_080558.jpg
    20230408_080558.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 31

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back