Where would you live in Texas?

Oh even better! You get to play in both towns during the holiday season! Get ready for some Zilker Trail of Lights in Austin! We'll have to sync up one of those weekends you're in town sir and I'll show you around. Make my pitch for Austin. [emoji6]

Will do! Wife & I would really like that. :)
 
I have lived in or Near Austin since 1967. I would not want to live anywhere else. Sure the traffic can be a pain in places at certain times of the day. It does not take long to figure where to stay away from at those times of the day. As an example I travel 26 mikes to work. It usually takes 25 minutes to get there, but I have to be there at 6:00AM. I get off at 6:00PM and it takes about 45 minutes to get home. I live in Cedar Park northwest of Austin. I work in east Austin at NXP.
 
Will do! Wife & I would really like that. :)
I think you need to have her pick the city that gives Humblefish Aquatics the best chance at success! ;)

Your traffic and quality of life issues should be afterthoughts to my ability to buy pre-quarantined fish! :eek:

Ok, maybe not. :p:D
 
Check out The Woodlands and burbs around Magnolia, Conroe, Tomball, and Willis. Best bang for your buck. Easy commute if you gotta go to the HP campus (assuming it still off 249). Dallas and Austin are full of themselves :D.
 
I've lived in Houston and Plano. They are totally different, to be honest. Houston has higher lows and lower highs thanks to the high humidity that moderates the temperatures somewhat. Traffic is ridiculous, but there is no shortage of activity.

I grew up in Texas, and Dallas has the craziest weather I've ever seen....rainless for 40+ days straight and 97°F at 10PM during summertime, frozen precipitation in the form of sleet, snow, or hail every year, and clouds in the spring that look like they are being stirred with an egg beater.

Would not live in Austin, ever. Just not my thing, but that's my take.
 
Wife's first day of work is Jan 2nd. So, after we pack up where we live now she has the entire month of December off. We are trying to decide whether to do something fun with that time off, or be "responsible" and go check out both areas before we move. ;)

In all probability, she will have to start in Houston (for training purposes), and then she gets to pick between Houston & Austin "go forward" offices. We are debating on whether to buy or rent right off the bat, as she would have the option of transferring to the other office at any time. o_O

Renting might be tough though, as I would need a landlord accepting of many small tanks.
 
are trying to decide whether to do something fun with that time off, or be "responsible" and go check out both areas before we move.
Why not have fun while you are checking out the areas? Mixing in some touristy stuff with the investigating could be very enjoyable!
 
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! We can tell you where to go to catch them easily!

"Houston! Houston! Houston!" Everyone chant with me now... "Houston!"....

You also don't want to be investing in expensive houses at this point in your life. I could buy so many houses in Texas for the price of mine in California. It's a big reason for wanting to leave here, so I can't recommend running into an "inflated market".

In the bay of Galveston, I'll take you Bobby and while we at it we catch some feeder fish for ourself
image.jpeg
 
@Diesel Put that poor baby back into the ocean! :p

We did that day only catch and release.
You come to Texas I'll turn you into fishing and hunting and before you know you carry a big iron on the hip as well ;)
 
Hahaha! Come to the Florida panhandle and we'll put you on some grouper and snapper :)

We got those too but have to go offshore for that.
I used to go to the keys in sept to fish on the sailfins on a private charter.
 
We got those too but have to go offshore for that.
I used to go to the keys in sept to fish on the sailfins on a private charter.

We have to go offshore, too, but usually not farther than 9 miles :) (not like to 45 miles I had to do when I lived in Houston ;))
 
Long story short, wife has a tentative offer for a new job. One of the perks is she can choose between Houston, Austin or Dallas (actually Plano) Texas. I really don't know much about any of these three cities.

So... Which one would you choose and why? We are looking to buy a house, settle down, and stay for the long-term. Everyone keeps telling me Austin is the "hip" place to be, but a) I'm not hip :p b) I hear home prices are pretty high in Austin. :(

TIA
Well, I am north of Houston and love it. Home prices are great and great reefing community. Austin is very liberal, so if that to your liking, go for Austin. Great reefers there also. Dallas/Plano would be my third choice, but that is me. I have lived in Texas all my life and find Dallas to be less appealing.
Good luck with this big decision and change in your life. PM me if you want more info on Houston.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new