Which AI hydras and how many?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 72 x 22 x 24 tank currently running 4 black box leds and my mixed reef is growing well. The only thing that bugs me is I cannot program them sunrises/sunset so I think I may upgrade.

The AI hydra units seem popular but there are many different sizes and options.

Which models do you think I should go for and how many of each? I have a canopy so I don't care about aesthetics. At least one half of my tank will be sps dominant and softied/ lps in the other half.

Thanks!

16203080552372847125065864436421.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3- hydra 26 or 32
OR
3- hydra 52 or 64

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks vetteguy. Do you mean 6x hydra 26/32 as they are half the size of the larger 52/64?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to duplicate the coverage and power of the black boxes?

3 of the 64s might be a good option.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to duplicate the coverage and power of the black boxes?

3 of the 64s might be a good option.
I think the black boxes probably have too much power so I would say good coverage is important for me . Maybe 3x 64s mounted higher than average would do the job...

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank does have a large central brace so maybe 4 units would be better suited so a lamp is no directly above the glass brace. 4x 32s?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to ask about braces and maybe suggest using more 32s over 3 64s ;)

You could start with 4 32s, and add another if you ever decided that you needed it. You could potentially get better spread that way, and it would be cheaper than 3 64s. Similar to the argument that people make for using 2 Primes on a 40 breeder over a single Hydra.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I th
I was just going to ask about braces and maybe suggest using more 32s over 3 64s ;)

You could start with 4 32s, and add another if you ever decided that you needed it. You could potentially get better spread that way, and it would be cheaper than 3 64s. Similar to the argument that people make for using 2 Primes on a 40 breeder over a single Hyde

I think that sounds like a good solution. Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. Whats the differience between primes and hydras? Is one better than the other?
A hydra 32 is essentially just two Primes stuck together in one case, and a 64 is just 4 Primes.

There are advantages to each, so it depends on what you need. A single Hydra 32 is cheaper than buying two Primes, but you can't spread them apart, for example.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hydra 32 is essentially just two Primes stuck together in one case, and a 64 is just 4 Primes.

There are advantages to each, so it depends on what you need. A single Hydra 32 is cheaper than buying two Primes, but you can't spread them apart, for example.
Got ya. And the 26s are just the old model of the 32 right? There are lots of them around second hand. 4x hydra 26s could do the job and not break the bank!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks vetteguy. Do you mean 6x hydra 26/32 as they are half the size of the larger 52/64?
Tessa you will need that coverage. Additionally, a couple of Orphek OR3 bars and you should be set

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya. And the 26s are just the old model of the 32 right?
Right. The old AI Primes used to have 13 LEDs, and now they have 16.

4x hydra 26s could do the job and not break the bank!
Sure, that might be an option. I believe the way they are controlled is different. The new models are Bluetooth and the older ones were WiFi. So if you add new ones, they probably won't pair and would need to be controlled separately, which isn't a big deal; just be aware.

Speaking of not breaking the bank, the Noopsyche K7s were designed to be just like the Hydra 26s. They are Chinese and cheaper, but I've seen several people use them on this site and like them. Here they are: https://www.noopsycheusa.com/produc...i-led-light-light-only?variant=31699258441814

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. The old AI Primes used to have 13 LEDs, and now they have 16.

Sure, that might be an option. I believe the way they are controlled is different. The new models are Bluetooth and the older ones were WiFi. So if you add new ones, they probably won't pair and would need to be controlled separately, which isn't a big deal; just be aware.

Speaking of not breaking the bank, the Noopsyche K7s were designed to be just like the Hydra 26s. They are Chinese and cheaper, but I've seen several people use them on this site and like them. Here they are: https://www.noopsycheusa.com/produc...i-led-light-light-only?variant=31699258441814
Awesome thanks! I shall look into them!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as if you are familiar with LEDs. They have a bit of a problem of having unidirectional light so corals (seems to be an issue for acropora mainly) tend to get light from one direction. This means one side can be shaded. You can get away from that by having a bunch of LED units but that runs to $$$$$$.

I have the older AI units and if my poor old memory serves: they are 24s and 48s.

Four units of either 32s or 64s would work. Eight 32s would give more even coverage and 16 primes which are 16 LEDs would give even more even coverage but that would be nuts. I have 6 units on 3 X 24 and 3 X 48 in a 72 by 36 tank. The coverage is pretty good. Sometimes I tinker with the notion of getting another three units for the back but I never pull the trigger.

The nice thing about the units is they have 3 groups of LEDs with blue: UV, Royal Blue and another. The lion’s share of the LEDS are in these channels because those are the critical photosynthetic areas. The remaining LEDs are mainly white with a few green and red. The MYAI feature gives you really nice control from 100% - 0% for each group of LEDs through time. So you can monkey around with the light channels to get just the look you desire.

The only units that are really superior are the Radions and they get the nod for having really nice even spread of light.

I like mine and they have worked really well.

By the way, Bulk Reef Supply has a number of really detailed you tube videos on these units so you might want to watch a couple before you lay out $$$$.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as if you are familiar with LEDs. They have a bit of a problem of having unidirectional light so corals (seems to be an issue for acropora mainly) tend to get light from one direction. This means one side can be shaded. You can get away from that by having a bunch of LED units but that runs to $$$$$$.

I have the older AI units and if my poor old memory serves: they are 24s and 48s.

Four units of either 32s or 64s would work. Eight 32s would give more even coverage and 16 primes which are 16 LEDs would give even more even coverage but that would be nuts. I have 6 units on 3 X 24 and 3 X 48 in a 72 by 36 tank. The coverage is pretty good. Sometimes I tinker with the notion of getting another three units for the back but I never pull the trigger.

The nice thing about the units is they have 3 groups of LEDs with blue: UV, Royal Blue and another. The lion’s share of the LEDS are in these channels because those are the critical photosynthetic areas. The remaining LEDs are mainly white with a few green and red. The MYAI feature gives you really nice control from 100% - 0% for each group of LEDs through time. So you can monkey around with the light channels to get just the look you desire.

The only units that are really superior are the Radions and they get the nod for having really nice even spread of light.

I like mine and they have worked really well.

By the way, Bulk Reef Supply has a number of really detailed you tube videos on these units so you might want to watch a couple before you lay out $$$$.
Thanks for taking the time to write that . Very useful info. I think 4x 32s sounds like an great starting point ! Food for thought! Thanks again

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are using black boxes and your coral are happy with them---have you looked at ReefBreeders lights? They are programable and spread the light out much better than the hydras. I'd get 4 of their 32" one's for SPS or 2 for LPS.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back