Which Anemone to get?

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am ready for a Nem. My tank is a year old +-. 35 hexagon but moving all to an in wall 120 in the next 2-3 months following basement construction. Have mushroom, Kenya tree and toadstool leather coral frags growing. Two clownfish (one ocellaris and one blood orange hybrid). Temp 78, PH 8.2, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates are zero.

Local PetCo has a green bubble tip and a larger long tentacle. Which is easier to keep and would host my clowns? The bubble tip has set up in the upper corner of their tank and has good greenish color. The long tentacle is up front middle and looks whitish with blue and purple hues. The first pic is from high up and hr is against the glass so it looks distorted.

Which Nem would the more experienced reefers suggest?

Thanks.

(I am planning on going back and getting one of them tomorrow.)

Anemone 2.jpg

Anemone.jpg

Clowns.jpg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you move all to the larger tank, and then wait a while for it to settle in.

Is that last pic of your current tank and clowns? The rock looks pretty new, I'm surprised it's a year +/- old.

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those anemones are naturally hired by those clowns but that doesn’t mean they won’t host it. Also think about the direction of your tank down the line, if you don’t mind have the anemone split a million times get the bubble tip, bubble tips also love to move and roam the tank at times. The long tentacle is pretty stationary and stays down on the sand bed away from fish and coral. IMO between those two the long tentacle would be easier to care for, never splits nor does it roam the tank.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long tent will require a deep sand bed. At least 4” but 6” is better

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you move all to the larger tank, and then wait a while for it to settle in.

Is that last pic of your current tank and clowns? The rock looks pretty new, I'm surprised it's a year +/- old.

I agree with the wait until I move everything to my future 120, but the long tentacle they have in stock is pretty big and only $30....

The rock work is limestone and has been added to, flipped around and rearranged so it doesn't look like a fully "mature" tank LOL. I am ordering some actual base rock from Amazon and going to seed and mature it in a 55 gallon barrel until I set up the 120.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a deep sand bed in your current tank, the LTA will move and knock things around. It will burrow under rocks and bury its foot till it feels comfortable. Mine outgrew a 45 gal tank within 6 month and I had to give it away at the one year point. It was easily 14+ inches and still growing. A deep sand bed is a must for full grown LTA

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a deep sand bed in your current tank, the LTA will move and knock things around. It will burrow under rocks and bury its foot till it feels comfortable. Mine outgrew a 45 gal tank within 6 month and I had to give it away at the one year point. It was easily 14+ inches and still growing. A deep sand bed is a must for full grown LTA

I use aragonite sand from PetCo. Is there any disadvantage to having the sand 5 inches deep?

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aragonite sand from PetCo. Is there any disadvantage to having the sand 5 inches deep?
You’re gonna have to read up on DSB and decide how you want to run it. I’m on the “no touch” team and let my sand CUCs take care of it. Watch your feeding regiment and keep the flow high enough to keep detritus from building up. Good luck.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for a few reasons 1. Your moving to a bigger tank soon let the new tank settle the buy one. 2. Petco isn’t know for the best livestock and or care of their livestock. 3. Just because it’s 30 bucks didn’t mean it’s the right fit for you. Think of this take the 30 bucks and tape it to the side of your tank then netxt week add ten then the following week add 10 and in a month month and a half you’ll be able to buy a much prettier nem.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consequences of the nem going bad and nuking your tank easily outweigh the possible cost savings by buying it cheap. If you are coming to this group for advice, I'd follow it.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to wait on the New. Almost brought home a couple of Bangii Cardinals but thought I had better set up a quarantine tank first.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to wait on the New. Almost brought home a couple of Bangii Cardinals but thought I had better set up a quarantine tank first.
Same with Long Tentacle Nems. They need to be QT. At the first sign of distress have cipro ready for a weeks treatment to cure any infection.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine tank is bare bottom. Should I have substrate in my qt?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back