Which battery backup?

zippykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 25 gal lagoon with sicce 1.5 pump and vortec mp10. I am looking to get a battery back up for power outages that will run either the pump or the vortec. Which battery backup would you recommend? And would you hook it up to the pump or the vortec?

Thank you in advance!

E9929CE4-66AF-416B-AA0B-36E8FFAC7212.jpeg

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have to hook to the vortec unless you get an ac power supply which are far larger and more expensive. Either the icecap or the ecotech backup works fine.

OP
OP
zippykat

zippykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have to hook to the vortec unless you get an ac power supply which are far larger and more expensive. Either the icecap or the ecotech backup works fine.

Is an APC UPS that has the battery monitoring screen any better than an ecotech/icecap, in regards to visually seeing the battery status? (Aka how do I know the battery is still good and functioning appropriately without the status screen?)

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can recommend the Icecap battery backup. I have it for my tank, it's great because it comes with many adapters so it can fit almost any pump/powerhead.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 25 gal lagoon with sicce 1.5 pump and vortec mp10. I am looking to get a battery back up for power outages that will run either the pump or the vortec. Which battery backup would you recommend? And would you hook it up to the pump or the vortec?

Thank you in advance!

E9929CE4-66AF-416B-AA0B-36E8FFAC7212.jpeg

I have an MP40 and the ecotech battery backup. The ecotech battery backup's battery quality is not worth it for $165. It died after 12 months of being on trickle charge and I never had power outage at my home. I ended up buying a Duracell AGM55 amp hour battery for $135. This battery will last 5x longer than the ectoech battery at a lower cost.

To connect a powerhead or a return pump....attaching a powerhead to a battery will draw less amps than attaching to a return pump therefore giving you more run time.

Last edited:

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40 and the ecotech battery backup. The ecotech battery backup's battery quality is not worth it for $165. It died after 12 months of being on trickle charge and I never had power outage at my home. I ended up buying a Duracell AGM 85 amp hour battery for $135. This battery will last 5x longer than the ectoech battery at a lower cost.

To connect a powerhead or a return pump....attaching a powerhead to a battery will draw less amps than attaching to a return pump therefore giving you more run time.
Can you share how you are connecting the Duracell to the pump?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share how you are connecting the Duracell to the pump?

This is my temporary installation. Currently, I dissected the EcoTech battery backup metal box and plugged my wires into the female ports on the bottom of the ecotech battery backup.

I attached alligator clips to the battery and soldered an XT60 yellow connector (a connector used for RC model planes and helicopters) to go from battery to the bottom of the EcoTech backup box.

I plan on ordering barrel plugs on eBay and making a small neat mount for the EcoTech wires and battery wire to plug in to rather than using the female ports located on the bottom of the ecotech battery backup which I have duct taped to the side of the battery.

0A45A815-4933-429A-81B6-9AE3A32635C4.jpeg

D23223A5-FEF0-431A-84FB-21C73081AC6D.jpeg

54DA5560-E06A-4DED-A7D2-9E6CC2DB41A9.jpeg

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a Quiet One 2.0 (generic Sicce) and am looking for battery backup. What exactly plugs into the battery if not the pump plug?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my temporary installation. Currently, I dissected the EcoTech battery backup metal box and plugged my wires into the female ports on the bottom of the ecotech battery backup .... stuff deleted to save space :)

Neat idea, thanks for sharing. Is the ecotech circuitry capable of maintaining the battery charge? Not having thought about this much, I would have expected different charging/control circuits for a battery with deeper storage capacity, but now that I say it, perhaps the only variable that changes is the amount of time required to get the battery recharged after you draw it down during a blackout? Does your power brick for the backup unit get warmer on the new battery?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply that came with the ecotech battery backup is a Automatic Switching Power Supply. I had never heard of these until my battery died and I was figuring out how to replace it and if I would need to get a different float charger if I installed a bigger battery.

A bigger charger is not required. When I connected a voltmeter to the output of the power supply it puts out 32 volts. When all wired up and connected to Duracell battery, I read 14.5 volts. It keeps the Duracell charged.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an APC UPS that has the battery monitoring screen any better than an ecotech/icecap, in regards to visually seeing the battery status? (Aka how do I know the battery is still good and functioning appropriately without the status screen?)

With the IceCap at least there is a green light on the plug that lights up when the battery is fully charged.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a APC 1500v backup. Probably gonna hook it up to a wavepump instead of the return pump.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, The sicce syncra is AC power, while the icecap and ecotech battery backup are for DC power pumps only

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back