Which blennies eat algae?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starry blenny ate the macro algae I was trying to grow. So I returned it to my LFS. I had it about 3 years, before I decided to try my hand at macro.

ADimitris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware that mixing two relatively similar blenny species can result in aggression. For instance- doesn’t seem like a smart idea to mix lawnmower and starry.

Im currently on a waitlist to obtain an Emblemaria Hypacanthus aka gulf signal blenny. They’re absolutely beautiful fish. I keep my tank slightly colder than most, about 73 degrees, and I already have a Catalina goby doing just fine.

But, my tank is dealing with an algae outbreak and I want to get a herbivorous blenny to keep it under control. But given their similar size, if I do get a lawnmower blenny, there’s a solid chance it wouldn’t get along with the gulf signal blenny I should be getting within a month or two.

so, are there any smaller herbivorous blennies worth getting? Also- are there any other nano fish that eat algae? Can’t exactly get a normal tang (although I am beginning to consider buying a tiny juvenile…)
Seaweed blenny.

I have plenty of same size blennies and most don't fight. In my experience, certain species fight with their own species...seaweed sometimes, rosy....hairy. Others have been fine loving in harmony. Where do you live?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the canary bleeny eats algae? I am not sure if its algae or cyano actually! If its cyano will they eat it or will it make them sick if they do?

I first saw it on an order of about 5 zoa frags. She sent them on brand new frag mounts!! Within a week they were solid red! She told me its because they are new and she dint have cyano!

Then I bought quite a few clear acrylic frag racks and put in two tanks. Both tanks have them covered in red now! Its on the walls and the racks in the tank that I didnt have the zoas in. The one that had zoas also has some now on rocks but I had taken the rocks out and scrubbed them trying to get rid of bubble algae!

Chemi clean does nothing! Seems to make it worse after I do WC but could be the elements in the water fueling it!

I am at a loss as to what to do! I want to move these highend zoas into a frag tank but not with the alage or whatever it is!

More info then needed lol but maybe someone can tell me what to do about the cyano/ or algae. looks red in tank.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bough two flametail blennies almost 2 weeks ago. I have one in each tank and seems each one has eatten something in my tank. One tank I believe he ate a polyp of my acan and the other tank maybe a small expenive cb blowtorch mushroom. UUGGHH

I have had them about 10 days and they have yet to come up for food and what sucks is i know I will never catch them!

All I ever see is their head sticking out of the rock!

I wish I would have bought a tailspot but stupid me bought them because they were 10 bucks and I have an algae problem goin on!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 148 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 187 51.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.7%
Back