Which brand tank???

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with Red Sea, I’ve seen so many reports of tank fails I lost count. Company blocking and erasing post, emailing people not to go public, just weird overall. Cade is also manufactured in China so I would go with SCA or Glass Cages if your in the US

Yes you have seen Red Sea Tank fails and many other brands. RS Facebook were you have seen this isn't for warranty and rants and those posts are directed to Tech Support. Their FB is for reef discussion. Truth be told most failures are from user mishandling of the tank, the cabinet not assemble properly or level and mostly glass cleaners damaging the seal. How do I know? Because my Red Sea Reefer 250 seal is going out now! Its probably from me scraping coralline and damaging the seal. Serial number 30,000 plus. They have dozens of models and have made over 30,000 of just the 250 liter. I think they know what they are doing.

Anyways I would never buy anything but Red Sea. They have best best customer service in the industry bar none. A 3 year warranty. I think you can buy an extended warranty now. My replacement tank was delivered last week at no charge and no questions asked how it happened. They just wanted some pics. Red Sea!!!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have seen Red Sea Tank fails and many other brands. RS Facebook were you have seen this isn't for warranty and rants and those posts are directed to Tech Support. Their FB is for reef discussion. Truth be told most failures are from user mishandling of the tank, the cabinet not assemble properly or level and mostly glass cleaners damaging the seal. How do I know? Because my Red Sea Reefer 250 seal is going out now! Its probably from me scraping coralline and damaging the seal. Serial number 30,000 plus. They have dozens of models and have made over 30,000 of just the 250 liter. I think they know what they are doing.

Anyways I would never buy anything but Red Sea. They have best best customer service in the industry bar none. A 3 year warranty. I think you can buy an extended warranty now. My replacement tank was delivered last week at no charge and no questions asked how it happened. They just wanted some pics. Red Sea!!!
Most of the tank fails I’ve read were a result of their cheap stands not handling the center load. 3 year warranty doesn’t wow me when my tank is ten years old

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep RS had a serious problem with stands sagging over time and not supporting the tank properly. This would cause tank seals to come apart and leak. My understanding is that RS has done a lot to reinforce their stands in the last couple of years, but they still use a lot of particle board.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the tank fails I’ve read were a result of their cheap stands not handling the center load. 3 year warranty doesn’t wow me when my tank is ten years old
There stands are not cheap. Actually very very expensive!:D Trust me I own 2. There warranty isn't suppose to wow people I don't think, its just better than most of the rest of the industry.
Yep RS had a serious problem with stands sagging over time and not supporting the tank properly. This would cause tank seals to come apart and leak. My understanding is that RS has done a lot to reinforce their stands in the last couple of years, but they still use a lot of particle board.
They had a problem with the 750 liter when it was there largest. Newest version stand solves the problem and they have a program ongoing replacing old version stands for original owners. Excellent support, the best of any out there. Its not particle board btw it is Marine Spec Plywood. You could build a boat with it!:cool:

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn't innovative marine in? They don't just sell AIO. Theie aluminum stand is way better than other vendors. If you are into custom sump and plumbing, they are the best right now. But if you are looking for plug and play, then red sea or waterbox are both equality meh.

Don't worry too much about the maker. Find the tank with the dimension you want.

Edit: sorry, didn't see you put I'm which I assume now is IM =P
Lol...im actully leaning towards the IM

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 50G. The sump shipped with the tank was too wide to fit under the stand, and I never received a replacement even after a back and forth correspondence. The tanks are great value but the communication was spotty. To be fair, I bought mine in March of last year, so it's possible he was completely swamped with a bunch of people getting into the hobby simultaneously.

Cade aquariums are some of the best (the power station on the side is amazing) but pricy. Red sea are quality AIO. Really all this depends on how much money you can drop.
When I originally was planning on my 150 build, I wanted a SCA tank, but was going to build the stand, etc. The only issue I ran into was that getting a response from Steve seemed to be hit or miss. I am now at that point where I want more turn-key and dont want to get stuck with the issues your describing.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently waiting on a CDA tank. At this moment it’s to soon for me to recommend them.

however leading up to my choice. I contacted all the main custom places including SCA and IM. I was really close to getting the IM ext 170 but I wanted a steel tubing stand.

My experience with all the company’s was horrible. They wouldn’t answer the phone or call me back. Most company’s took weeks to respond via email if the responded at all

I would have liked to try the cade peninsula but my wife said No peninsulas.

and I really don’t like cades build in ATO

At this point I kinda think IM would have been the best option. Good luck.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 2 Waterboxes and if I was going to buy a new tank right now it would be an IM.

Edit to add: I would get an IM if I could actually get one. They seem to have supply/availability problems.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually am looking at the IM Nuvo INT 100 and the Red Sea Reefer 350 or Reefer XL 425. In the IM INT I see the top panel has a plumbing knock out, but not the shelf...do you just drill through the shelf?

1631480161066.png

1631480266627.png

JJHLH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get into the hobby and find this discussion helpful. I’m also thinking of going with IM. Their stands seem to be a step up from MDF, which I’m not a big fan of.

They also have sale now. Trying to decide between the Fusion Pro 30 and 40.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 IMs the 30l 50 lagoon and sr80. The aluminum stands are what sold me for sure. They are the best out there. The only issue is there is no back wall on them but that could be a positive for some as you can easily screw in a custom panel to the frame and make it how you want. My sr 80 has doors on the front and both sides for easy access to everything inside. I'm in the market yet again. I'm going to sell the 5O and 30 and either get another 80 or the sr120. Was considering red sea reefer 350 only because the dealer offered to sell my other 2 in his store for me. The stands have been worrying me a bit.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bui
I have 3 IMs the 30l 50 lagoon and sr80. The aluminum stands are what sold me for sure. They are the best out there. The only issue is there is no back wall on them but that could be a positive for some as you can easily screw in a custom panel to the frame and make it how you want. My sr 80 has doors on the front and both sides for easy access to everything inside. I'm in the market yet again. I'm going to sell the 5O and 30 and either get another 80 or the sr120. Was considering red sea reefer 350 only because the dealer offered to sell my other 2 in his store for me. The stands have been worrying me a bit.
Build your own stand and use the RS stand to make a boat!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously though if they didn't sell a "package" and I could buy a tank without the stand IM has a stand that would fit it. Same with waterbox. I don't get why you can't just buy a tank NIB. Without a stand from some of these vendors. Probably because they are selling a $100 flat pack for a grand. That's where the profit is.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would piece it out and get exactly what you want and what fits your needs. If not you will end up disappointed and start upgrading different elements. Lot of great choices but most companies aren’t great at “everything” or AIO if you will
Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would piece it out and get exactly what you want and what fits your needs. If not you will end up disappointed and start upgrading different elements. Lot of great choices but most companies aren’t great at “everything” or AIO if you will
Just my 2 cents
That's why I like the IM Int 100. Tank and stand, and I can get the sump, pumps, lights etc I like.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally was planning on my 150 build, I wanted a SCA tank, but was going to build the stand, etc. The only issue I ran into was that getting a response from Steve seemed to be hit or miss. I am now at that point where I want more turn-key and dont want to get stuck with the issues your describing.
Yeah, I don't hold ill will toward him but I wasn't exactly happy considering I dropped nearly 700 on the entire setup. But at that time literally every business was going through a learning curve. I think my main issue was that I would have been fine if he had just said "I ran into issues". That was my main annoyance. They are still an excellent price though. The skimmer is meh. I ended up saving it for a future frag build.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't hold ill will toward him but I wasn't exactly happy considering I dropped nearly 700 on the entire setup. But at that time literally every business was going through a learning curve. I think my main issue was that I would have been fine if he had just said "I ran into issues". That was my main annoyance. They are still an excellent price though. The skimmer is meh. I ended up saving it for a future frag build.
The thing with that is it's easy to setup an auto response in your email that says we're behind in answering emails... etc vs silence.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im very happy with my current red sea 900!
very nice quality overall, I kinda wish the pipes and socks were imperial tho , but thats just me being picky,

If I were to re-choose what tank I got for that build, I would go with the S1000, mainly due to the Eurobracing it has which imo is basically a must for large tanks and also the aluminum stand, just some upgrades.

If you really want one that comes with everything you could take a look at the E series from redsea! (A little expensive ik :rolleyes:, but if you can afford it, go for it, imo its worth)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back