Which camera under $300?

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G10 is generally accepted to be about the best P&S-type camera, assuming it sells for $300 or less. If you practice a little, most P&S cameras, with a macro setting, will get you decent photos of corals. Housings for small P&S cameras are relatively inexpensive, allowing you to shoot under water. However, a camera and housing will cost more than $300.
Gary

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my panasonic fz 28 as it can shoot in raw format. under $300

here is a few samples
P1010979-2.jpg

P1010795.jpg

P1010798.jpg

P1010703-2.jpg

P1010717.jpg

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the most important features to consider? Whats the lowest MP that should even be considered, and what is recommended?

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon.com: Panasonic DMC-LX3 10.1MP Digital Camera with 24mm Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black):…

Panasonic DMC-LX3

The G-10 and others cant hold a candle to this thing's quality... how? Its one of the few cameras in this segment that borrows its CCD from digital SLR's, meaning it can capture more light without needing to decrease the shutter speed/increase ISO/open aperture more. It captures images at faster speeds at lower light levels with higher clarity. Most others in this class like the G-10s and the Nikon P's are pretty generic and just keep trying to compete in zooms. If you want zoom you get a DSLR. Look at this camera's F-stop if you dont believe me. There is only one or two other cameras that come close to this other than SLR's.

The LX-3's only weakness is that is doesn't have the super high zoom that many other in this segment have. It is closer to $400, but if you can spare the extra bit, its well worth it.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review: 17. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to consider a used camera. I have taken nice pics with my Canon sd750. I also have the UW housing by Canon which goes for around $150. You can find this camera on ebay for about $100 to $150. If you don't need a housing at this time. I also have a new Canon SX210 that I really like as well.

I can't embed the pics, but here are links to some u/w pics I've taken with the SD750 setup.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4AK_7tj0kG0/S.../8ozC80Sgeok/s512/FtLaudDiveAug1720080018.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4AK_7tj0kG0/Spospt2LcjI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/3jHLLxDHHO4/s640/IMG_4645.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4AK_7tj0kG0/SpossJdkZlI/AAAAAAAAC1c/DGnRfpN3A_U/s640/IMG_4649.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4AK_7tj0kG0/SpotAnuhL7I/AAAAAAAAC18/28_Lb6YKO4U/s640/IMG_4684.JPG

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a shotty website. I dont trust it. Google peoples experiences with that company before you buy anything.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't purchased anything from efartrade and haven't heard of them, but I would never buy from any site that prices their cameras so far below other retailers. Those prices do not seem right. Saving money is great, but no name camera retailers are notorious for being scammers. It usually starts as a camera being sold online at a ridiculous price, then you either get a camera without a battery/bag/charger/etc or you are asked to call the store to listen to some story about how it just sold out and that there's a more expensive model you should buy. If you Google "camera bait and switch," you can find tons of examples of this practice. Just remember that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

For trusted retailers, I can suggest Abes of Maine, Adorama, BH Photo Video, Calumet, or Amazon.

As for finding an easy-to-use camera, you should look towards a compact point and shoot. They are the simplest cameras to use as most of the controls are automated, but you lose a little on image quality, zoom, and some controls in this form factor. Don't let that fool you though, as compacts are excellent these days. You might look into the Panasonic DMC-ZS1 or the ZS3. The ZS3 has a 720p video mode, if you care. Otherwise, they are the same.

It's hard (maybe impossible) to get a consensus recommendation from a crowd, because everybody has different ideas as to how much they are willing to compromise ease of use for image quality. It's very subjective. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot.

That site is a scam. They hack peoples email and send messages to all their contacts about how great the site is. Mine came from my dad, when I asked him what he had got from there when I saw him in person the next day he looked at me like I was crazy...

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said, though I would send you down the Canon road, because that's my preference.
Gary

I haven't purchased anything from efartrade and haven't heard of them, but I would never buy from any site that prices their cameras so far below other retailers. Those prices do not seem right. Saving money is great, but no name camera retailers are notorious for being scammers. It usually starts as a camera being sold online at a ridiculous price, then you either get a camera without a battery/bag/charger/etc or you are asked to call the store to listen to some story about how it just sold out and that there's a more expensive model you should buy. If you Google "camera bait and switch," you can find tons of examples of this practice. Just remember that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

For trusted retailers, I can suggest Abes of Maine, Adorama, BH Photo Video, Calumet, or Amazon.

As for finding an easy-to-use camera, you should look towards a compact point and shoot. They are the simplest cameras to use as most of the controls are automated, but you lose a little on image quality, zoom, and some controls in this form factor. Don't let that fool you though, as compacts are excellent these days. You might look into the Panasonic DMC-ZS1 or the ZS3. The ZS3 has a 720p video mode, if you care. Otherwise, they are the same.

It's hard (maybe impossible) to get a consensus recommendation from a crowd, because everybody has different ideas as to how much they are willing to compromise ease of use for image quality. It's very subjective. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jbrown11352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Olympus Stylus 770 SW underwater P & S and it seems to be fairly good especially since I'm finding the time to play with the settings.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back