Which fish turned out to be a menace in your tank?

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, from what I've heard, some people have seen them nip at zoas, and in some cases wipe out colonies, this has not been my expereience and I see it very rarely. I love the fish, they help keep the more aggressive ones calm ime. If one of mine in the past or now started nipping I would remove it, they just never have shown any interest.
Been thinking about getting one but the rare cases still scare me, how does your fox face do with algae control? I've got 6 tangs so there's not much algae for it to graze on so that's another limiting factor for me.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had any experiences with it nipping at corals??
Nope, only when feeding. I feed the tank or add nori prior to feeding corals as they will occasionally pick when corals are feeding, no ill effects, though I have heard of issues with zoas from some people. I imagine most are 100% reef safe, with the occasional exception.
Very easy fish to catch with a trap if problems were to arise

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS(when I started the keeping marine fish) that a 6 line wrasse would be OK with my other fish.

It ripped the fins off of my Mandarin. The Mandarin survived wrasse went back to the LFS.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm curious to see if you've ever had a fish that was said to be peaceful but turned out to be a menace? For me it was my male pintail fairy wrasse, he would bully everything that would come into the tank, especially other wrasses. Share your experiences
I had a blue damsel and when I added other fish he would terrorize them to no end for a few days but then would leave them alone and go on his marry way. That was the only time he bothered anyone is when a new fish was added other than that he was fine

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clarki clowns. Mainly after I put in a nice anemon for them I guess. The large Female started to create sand storms and blow away every inch of sand near the where he stays. Then he would not let me add any new coral to aquascape and would break and tumble any new additions. Even After I glued them overnight he would make sure to topple it next morning. Even 1kg+ havy rocks he would tople over.:rolleyes:
After I got rid of it, the smaller one have turned out be worse. While not having the power to topple over stuff, he would go and constantly pick on any coral near the anemon, so they would closeup and die. :(

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Blue Tang.
Oh wow that's actually a surprising one, I want one because of the blue color I think it looks really nice and I've heard they're one of the more peaceful tangs. What made this fish a menace for you?

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clarki clowns. Mainly after I put in a nice anemon for them I guess. The large Female started to create sand storms and blow away every inch of sand near the where he stays. Then he would not let me add any new coral to aquascape and would break and tumble any new additions. Even After I glued them overnight he would make sure to topple it next morning. Even 1kg+ havy rocks he would tople over.:rolleyes:
After I got rid of it, the smaller one have turned out be worse. While not having the power to topple over stuff, he would go and constantly pick on any coral near the anemon, so they would closeup and die. :(
I had a maroon that was the same way, was aggressive with her nem too. No matter the size of the nem she would rip it off the rocks and drag it to her corner so she can sleep in it.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that's actually a surprising one, I want one because of the blue color I think it looks really nice and I've heard they're one of the more peaceful tangs. What made this fish a menace for you?
They get very large and harass any other blue fish and/or any other tang with a similar shape. They, IMO, also aren't that appealing in their adult phase compared to most other tangs

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunar Wrasse...killed nearly everything in my tank years ago, including an adolescent emperor angel. Ouch.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back