Which Kalkwasser reactor should I get?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble raising my pH and I cannot lead skimmer tubing to the outside of facility and there is no windows to open. CO2 scrubber seems too expensive to operate. Therefore, I need a Kalkwasser reactor. Which one should I get that is reliable and easy to use? Cost does not matter as much. Thanks.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also consider a C02 scrubber.
Or, if you have room, you can simply dose saturated kalk from a separate reservoir. A bunch of threads on here (and BRS vids too) that show saturated kalk holds its parameters for quite a while if not stirred.

Edit: Apologies for not reading your thread more carefully. You state you don't care to run a scrubber. I try to re-read before posting, but was headed out the door.

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an avast k2 for over a year, I really like it. My tank is 180 gallons. I probably could have also been fine with the k1.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the co2 scrubber, kalk is going to mess with your alk to much. It’s really not expensive to run, I started doing it recently. Amazing results.

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know different cases may vary, but would be the average cost annually with running a kalk reactor vs. a c02 scrubber. Just the top off my head a c02 scrubber media is approx $35. And reading some threads where media is being changed out twice a month (varies).

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a GEO Kalkwasser Reactor KR618 since 2014. Absolutely no complaints.

BTW - I too have been working on smoothing my pH Swings. I'd been dosing via simple 30 minute time overnight (as my method to replace evap water). This spring I took on a project to smooth out the pH spikes, by switching to Apex based control with Much Smaller time increments, more often. See attached I used to document my work.

DaveOBrien - p1.JPG DaveOBrien - p2.JPG DaveOBrien - p3.JPG

Last edited:

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know different cases may vary, but would be the average cost annually with running a kalk reactor vs. a c02 scrubber. Just the top off my head a c02 scrubber media is approx $35. And reading some threads where media is being changed out twice a month (varies).

I run the Geosreef kalk reactor and a BRS CO2 scrubber to help offset the pH from my Geosreef calcium reactor plus the CO2 generated from three people and a dog in the house. For my set up the kalk is less expensive in the long run than the CO2 it's just the upfront cost were more for the kalk reactor. I have the jumbo BRS Co2 reactor and I have to refill it every week except the two months of the year here in Florida when I can keep a window cracked open. Then it can last two weeks. The Kalk reactor gets 1/4 cup a week added to it and a total replacement once a month. Kalk is cheap.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the Georeef calcium reactor and my pH average 7.9. I want to do the CO2 scrubber but due to the fequent media change and the cost, I started to lean toward the kalkwasser reactor. Not sure which is the better option.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long term experience is all things motorized die. I like equipment with external, replaceable pumps. And I keep spares. That's one of the reasons I went with Geo.
(I have no experience with the Icecap reactor, but the motor looked integrated when I looked it up. )

Back