Which LED strip light for chaeto reactor?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a chaeto reactor and I do not know much about LED strip lights. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between these two products (other than brand and that one has a power supply)? The one sold without the power supply has been used by others but I like the idea of the other since it appears to be plug and play...

With power supply:
https://www.amazon.com/Elflight-Ada...1LO55GVM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Without power supply:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XHRYX2O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2213MX6EIGXNN

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on plug in dimmer switch? Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used those grow light style.
I have used the standard RHBW ones. They work pretty well. I wouldn't worry at all about dimming. I set all of them at full. I even had them on a 5g nano for a couple years.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me chaeto has seemed to do well with white leds in the 6000-6500k range. I have 2 chaeto reactors that both do well; one has this light light: https://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_A...riums-Accel_Aquatics-6H94602-FILTFILD-vi.html

Marine depot also has a good vid on building the reactor

the other has this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132NME6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the dimmer but it's on full blast.
Any pics of the reactors? I found a really cool design that's a little more complicated than the marinedepot vid so I will document as well. I can't take credit for the concept just found it online :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my reactors are based on the marine depot design. I had the aquamaxx biopellet reactors laying around one small and one large, biopellets didn't work for me

IMG_20170219_072456.jpg

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my reactors are based on the marine depot design. I had the aquamaxx biopellet reactors laying around one small and one large, biopellets didn't work for me

IMG_20170219_072456.jpg
Nice work! I'm guessing this did work for you?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I highly recommend an algae reactor. The small one is on a bc29 with a wartskin angler eating live prey. Nitrates and phosphates are pretty much undetectable now and the rocks are almost as white as they were when new. The other tank is little more challenging but works very well.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm going to try the elflight to start and worst case I can always go with the something in the 6000-6500k range if it proves ineffective. I'm going to mount the strip inside 4" PVC so I can take the reactor in and out of it for cleaning. I am also going to mount this cooling fan to the PVC. I will post pics when I get it built.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...qid=1496976370&sr=8-3&keywords=ac+cooling+fan

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be watching this one Tim as I was thinking exactly the same led for an unused Biotek reactor.

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to figure out how I would to cover the reactor and you gave me the solution. PVC it is. Great job!
Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't be able to stand having that light in the room even under the stand. So with 4" PVC pipe and the hang on AquaMaxx reactor I have JUST enough room for the LED rope light to fit. I think other reactors wouldn't work unless you found some very large PVC :)

Do you think the ventilation fan is needed? Wouldn't the water flowing through the chateo keep it cool?
I actually can't take credit for the design I saw others do it on the SoCaliReefs forum. After a google search I had to join to be able to see the design pictures. I think it will just add insurance to keep the LEDs cool so that they don't put too much heat on the reactor/acrylic. I fired it up for a few minutes last night and they do get a little warm.

habavonc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights did you use any kind of grow strips from amazon?

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights did you use any kind of grow strips from amazon?
I ended up going with this one mostly because it came with the AC power adapter. I have yet to get my reactor online because I'm going to try to redo my plumbing. Hopefully I will make some progress this weekend!

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@drawman if I remember correctly, your lights are mounted to the pvc and not the actual reactor. That leaves a small gap between the lights and the reactor for airflow and also lessons the chance of the acrylic on the reactor from hazing. Which was a problem that some people have had in the past. It also makes it nice when cleaning as you don't have to deal with the power cord from the lights. You can just remove the reactor from the pvc contraption. I still haven't built mine yet due to some extreme studying I'm doing but that's the design I am going with also.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back