Which LED strip light for chaeto reactor?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dochou & @chicago, I have used a few different Refuge lights in my time being in this hobby for so long. It all depends on how deep your pockets are if you know what I mean MATE! I think you can't go wrong with either the Kessil Refuge light or the Zetlight E200.. Here my favorite refugium lights on the market.

Kessil H380 Halo II led Algae Grow Light - $299.00
upload_2018-12-25_9-33-12.png

Here is the one I will be using for my CL-44 sump w/ refgue.
Zetlight E200's MacroAlgae Cultivation Led Light: $149.99
211672-zetlight-e200s-comp-light-and-box.jpg
\

Zeolight E100 MarcoAlgae Led Light: $62.99

211116-zetlight-e100-macroalgaelight-e.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae also exports nutrients in a controlled space, like an algae scrubber IMO. I found that when my chaeto was doing this it needed iron and possible magnesium. So I started to dose iron in very tiny amounts.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae also exports nutrients in a controlled space, like an algae scrubber IMO. I found that when my chaeto was doing this it needed iron and possible magnesium. So I started to dose iron in very tiny amounts.
So your refugium was getting over run by hair algae as well?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank, a 65 gallon RedSea, was overrun by hair algae. Then later my chaeto all died in my new 140 gallon. It just melted. I found posts by others, including Humblefish, on the use of iron to help chaeto grow. I am now considering a PaxBellum for use on my RedSea. But yes, it you consider an algae scrubber as a way of exporting nutrients, then hair algae in a contained space, removed as it grows can be a way of removing excess nutrients. The PaxBellum has you dose iron and maganese to encourage chaeto growth. I dosed carbon for a while in both tanks. I just think that for me chaeto in a reactor, is the way to go. Though for others growing slime, hair algae, or any form of green junk, on a scrubber works. They both export excess nutrients. And a scrubber can be used in a fresh water tank. This is what I believe to be true today. Oh, I use a skimz reactor in my larger tank. The chaeto is finally growing with the help of a tiny dose of iron twice a week and the hair algae is slowly disappearing. I think it is trial and error. There was also some red algae and it too is disappearing. I am no expert by any means. These are my experiences.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto reactor works great! I took it offline because I was having a hair algae problem. The reactor worked so well it filled up with hair algae that snuffed out my chaeto :eek:

I wonder if the hair algae was able to outcompete your chaeto due to a lack of iron and or magnesium. Like growing a beautiful lawn. I believe this is what happened to mine originally.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back