Which of these is a better HOB Refugium option?

Which would you prefer to buy?

• Total voters

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

I was leaning towards the CPR Aquatics , but the only issue is I don't like how the motor is so big inside of the tank. If you have either of these, are they loud at all? I don't want to buy one that is loud. I am getting one for my 30 Gallon reef.

Thanks!

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small aquafuge 2 on my 36 bow front it’s supper quiet. Can’t even tell it’s on. I had bought an algae barn refugium starter pack with cheato and that’s what I’m running in it. Don’t like the light to much. Was thinking about getting one of these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ecochic-waterproof-refugium-led-light-8831-00-tunze.html my lfs is running one and he said he’s been getting good growth on his cheato

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small aquafuge 2 on my 36 bow front it’s supper quiet. Can’t even tell it’s on. I had bought an algae barn refugium starter pack with cheato and that’s what I’m running in it. Don’t like the light to much. Was thinking about getting one of these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ecochic-waterproof-refugium-led-light-8831-00-tunze.html my lfs is running one and he said he’s been getting good growth on his cheato
Awesome that sounds great! I’m glad it’s not loud, I’ll probably end up getting one of those too. Have you ever had any problems with it overflowing or anything like that? Does it work smooth?

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems what so ever. Never overflowed as long as you keep things clean should be no problem. Recently ordered one of these to turn the light on and off been working good so far

3251236B-48F3-4A0A-A751-40C0E8970BC8.jpeg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems what so ever. Never overflowed as long as you keep things clean should be no problem. Recently ordered one of these to turn the light on and off been working good so far

3251236B-48F3-4A0A-A751-40C0E8970BC8.jpeg
I actually ordered one of those too! haha but I could never get mine to work. It wouldn’t connect to my WiFi so I couldn’t set it up, too bad. It’s such a good idea if it works out though. I gotta try something else for this.

Aquageorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

or

I was leaning towards the CPR Aquatics , but the only issue is I don't like how the motor is so big inside of the tank. If you have either of these, are they loud at all? I don't want to buy one that is loud. I am getting one for my 30 Gallon reef.

Thanks!
I have the small AquaFuge2. At 2.5 gallons, it seems too large for my small tank. If I turn the fuge pump off, the fuge drains too much water into my little tank (20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano AIO). I'm going to try making some modifications to lower the fuge volume. Also, I agree with you, I would prefer to have the pump inside the refugium, not in the tank. I was thinking of getting a HOB filter and modifying it into a refugium.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ordered one of those too! haha but I could never get mine to work. It wouldn’t connect to my WiFi so I couldn’t set it up, too bad. It’s such a good idea if it works out though. I gotta try something else for this.
Did you ever get the Wifi outlet to work? I have one as well, love it. Works great. I use it on the grow light over my CPR hang on back fuge on my 15 Gallon column tank.

IMG_20200608_014331.jpg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get the Wifi outlet to work? I have one as well, love it. Works great. I use it on the grow light over my CPR hang on back fuge on my 15 Gallon column tank.

IMG_20200608_014331.jpg
No I could never get mine to work. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or not but it just won't connect to my home wifi, maybe there's something wrong with it. I might try a different one soon. that's awesome! I want to do the same thing.

How are those mangroves treating you? I just got some and they started to have some brown spots on the leaves. I don't know if my tank parameters are okay for it.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I could never get mine to work. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or not but it just won't connect to my home wifi, maybe there's something wrong with it. I might try a different one soon. that's awesome! I want to do the same thing.

How are those mangroves treating you? I just got some and they started to have some brown spots on the leaves. I don't know if my tank parameters are okay for it.
I was having the same issues with my Mangroves but I'm pretty sure I found the key! They need to be sprayed once or twice a day with RODI water. Put some in a spray bottle and mist the leaves top and bottom. This is critical for their survival. They expell salt through their leaves and if left on them it blocks their cells from being able to photosynthesize. In the wild it rains usually every morning or they have dew on their leaves and it naturally rinses off. Obviously it's not raining in our house! Lol Mine have seemed like they're bouncing back. As for your outlet... Do you have the Smartlife app? I want to try to help you to get it to work. Make sure you're phone is connected to your 2.4ghz wifi when you're trying to pair. I can help you more if you need but connect to your 2.4 gig and try again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back