Which overflow style?

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning R2R, I am just looking for some advice on my new-ish (restarting) tank setup. I didn't like the way the drain or return plumbing was set up so I am looking to switch it up. I have my return plumbing figured out but unsure on drain. The tank is a 300 gallon dual corner overflow with a 90 gallon sump. Unfortunately though the sump is only equipped with 1 eshopps 7" rectangular 300 micron sock filter. In the overflows I have a total of 4, 3/4" drain holes to work with. The old drain setup was a durso drain in each overflow and T'd together above the sump all draining to one sock. The problem with that was the DT would sometimes try and overflow. As a temporary fix, I T'd in a valve that I can throttle some of the water right back into the sump before it goes up into the tank on the return side. I am not so much worried about noise, but more so I want a high flow setup. The return pump is pushing 3,500 GPH before any losses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bean animal is most popular
There are several sketches on google of various overflows

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3/4" gravity drain passes approximately 400 gph.
4 drains fully flowing would therefore pass appx 1600 gph.
If you T the 4 drains together into a 1-1/2" pipe, the flow capacity would be reduced to 1400 gph
You'll need to get bigger drain holes, more drain holes, or over-the-top siphon drain if you want to get more flow.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6ft 180 with dual overflows. Each overflow has a 1" and 3/4" bulkhead...so a total of two 1"s and two 3/4"s

I have it where ALL FOUR bulkheads in the overflows are draining bean-animal style. Each corner is plumb'ed into its own 2" drain going thru the floor into the basement

So at my sump downstairs, I have two 2" pipes. One from the left overflow, one from the right.

My return pump is a ReeFlo Hammerhead capable of 5000ish GPH to push return water back upstairs to two return lines that go up-over the tank lip to loc-line at the end of the plumbing

Just before the return line goes into the tank both return lines have ball-valves on them to adjust how much waterflow goes into the tank

I can blast as much as ~1000gph at full-throttle and the drains can keep up....but I back it down to much less than that.

HTH

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6ft 180 with dual overflows. Each overflow has a 1" and 3/4" bulkhead...so a total of two 1"s and two 3/4"s

I have it where ALL FOUR bulkheads in the overflows are draining bean-animal style. Each corner is plumb'ed into its own 2" drain going thru the floor into the basement

So at my sump downstairs, I have two 2" pipes. One from the left overflow, one from the right.

My return pump is a ReeFlo Hammerhead capable of 5000ish GPH to push return water back upstairs to two return lines that go up-over the tank lip to loc-line at the end of the plumbing

Just before the return line goes into the tank both return lines have ball-valves on them to adjust how much waterflow goes into the tank

I can blast as much as ~1000gph at full-throttle and the drains can keep up....but I back it down to much less than that.

HTH
Hey Z, could you direct me to a photo of your returns coming up over the back?

I'm in the process right now of ordering and 6-ft with dual corner overflows. I'm not convinced yet if I want to come over the top or through the back wall. Having a hard time visualizing it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back