Which reactor media to reduce nitrates?

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble understanding what is the best reactor media to run to reduce nitrates. I understand GFO or Phosguard is for lowering phosphates and carbon is for general water cleaning. But what have people had success with for lowering nitrates?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part nitrate reducing chemical media's are not supremely effective. They do work but they are better at getting already low nitrates really low on a periodic basis rather than constantly maintaining low nitrate.

On the other hand Biopellets will remove nitrate and do go in a reactor but they usually require a specialized media reactor and they are not a chemical filtration media. They are a form of organic carbon dosing.

I love biopellets so if you want to get on the pellet train I am happy to help.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that biopellets work well but definitely require a good skimmer. Otherwise the nitrates that are captured wind up decomposing right back into the water column. As @Montiman said above, it's important to understand that biopellets are "food" for bacteria that consume nitrates, and not a chemical that bonds nitrates.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble understanding what is the best reactor media to run to reduce nitrates. I understand GFO or Phosguard is for lowering phosphates and carbon is for general water cleaning. But what have people had success with for lowering nitrates?
Have found the best way to naturally lower nitrates and phosphates is to run Refugium with chaeto. Took my high NO3 and PO4 to almost zero in a few weeks. Many options for refugiums including algae reactors. Just another option with many benefits for your aquarium, including not constantly buying the media.

Here's a picture of my Tunze MAR in my sump.

1614790059906.png

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have found the best way to naturally lower nitrates and phosphates is to run Refugium with chaeto. Took my high NO3 and PO4 to almost zero in a few weeks. Many options for refugiums including algae reactors. Just another option with many benefits for your aquarium, including not constantly buying the media.

1614790059906.png
What size tank?

OP
OP
EntitledSushi

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1614790059906.png

I have considered this but I have been avoiding setting up a refugium as it is "just one more thing to maintain". How much work would you say it is? Yours looks a little more like an all-in-one solution compared to the other setups I have seen.

Bu the way, I think we have the same skimmer. I'm not sure how well it works in my tank, how about yours? Seems very sensitive and it oscillates between capturing almost nothing and overflowing.

OP
OP
EntitledSushi

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part nitrate reducing chemical media's are not supremely effective. They do work but they are better at getting already low nitrates really low on a periodic basis rather than constantly maintaining low nitrate.

On the other hand Biopellets will remove nitrate and do go in a reactor but they usually require a specialized media reactor and they are not a chemical filtration media. They are a form of organic carbon dosing.

I love biopellets so if you want to get on the pellet train I am happy to help.

I have a BRS reactor for GFO that I was planning to repurpose. Will that work with biopellets?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered this but I have been avoiding setting up a refugium as it is "just one more thing to maintain". How much work would you say it is? Yours looks a little more like an all-in-one solution compared to the other setups I have seen.

Bu the way, I think we have the same skimmer. I'm not sure how well it works in my tank, how about yours? Seems very sensitive and it oscillates between capturing almost nothing and overflowing.
Definitely an all-in-one micro algae reactor. Found my used one on one of these forums for $200. Once you setup, you harvest chaeto every 2 to 3 weeks. Would wipe off inside of the reactor with paper towel to remove any residue that built up over the 2 to 3 weeks. Took less than 5 minutes. Many benefits to chaeto and I don't run any other reactors. All the best coral sellers in my area run refugiums with chaeto - that's when I knew that I needed one.

NYOS 120 is a good skimmer. Just let it run - there will be periods of no skim and periods that it collects skimmate. Everyone thinks it should be frothing bubbles at the top of the skimmer constantly but that's not correct. Will pull out the skimmate when it's there. Do not constantly adjust skimmer, just let it run, and will pull out the skimmate.

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why these arent more popular. Took my consistent 20 ppms down to 0-1 ppm in a week. Sulfur pellets for $20 on Amazon. Standard BRS Reactor. Smallest pump you can find to run it, I'm talking like 1-2 drips per second. I promise this will take care of your problem as cheaply and effectively as possible.

Reefglide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried many approaches to resolve nitrate build up over the years. By far the easiest and most reliable with minimal upkeep has been the Refugium with cheato. Harvest every three months about 50% and run on a 12 hour light cycle opposite my main tank light schedule. Have a heavily stocked 180 and feed twice a day. Nitrates are undetectable per testing. However I feel confident they are present due to SPS color, growth and overall health.
In addition I don’t do water changes unless I’m servicing the Refugium. Tank is bare bottom. Always return water from detritus vacuum via filter sock.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS reactor for GFO that I was planning to repurpose. Will that work with biopellets?
You may be able to get it to work but if you look on BRS you will find that they have a separte biopellet reactor. The main difference is that Biopellets need more flow so the BRS pellet reactors use bigger ports a more open cartridge and a larger pump.

You might be able to swap out the cartridge and switch to a bigger pump to use pellets. I have never tried it but I bet it would work.

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1614790059906.png
That purple lighting looks slick!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think dosing soluble organics such as vinegar or vodka is preferable to biopellets. Pellets are harder to control since they are slower to respond to "dosing" changes, and you cannot control the timing of O2 consumption.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back