Which reactor media to reduce nitrates?

Anytka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why these arent more popular. Took my consistent 20 ppms down to 0-1 ppm in a week. Sulfur pellets for $20 on Amazon. Standard BRS Reactor. Smallest pump you can find to run it, I'm talking like 1-2 drips per second. I promise this will take care of your problem as cheaply and effectively as possible.
Hello,
Would you explain how to set it up? I have BRS reactor that I can use but not sure how to set it up for sulfur reactor . I have a sump and refugium with chaeto but still can’t bring my nitrates down.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka! No reactor/pumps required... $5 bottle lasts me for months.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,
Would you explain how to set it up? I have BRS reactor that I can use but not sure how to set it up for sulfur reactor . I have a sump and refugium with chaeto but still can’t bring my nitrates down.
My favorite for 2 decades, most effective and cost effective is CheniPure Blue or elite which will polish water and and remove toxins also and keep NO3 and PO4 in check

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried many approaches to resolve nitrate build up over the years. By far the easiest and most reliable with minimal upkeep has been the Refugium with cheato. Harvest every three months about 50% and run on a 12 hour light cycle opposite my main tank light schedule. Have a heavily stocked 180 and feed twice a day. Nitrates are undetectable per testing. However I feel confident they are present due to SPS color, growth and overall health.
In addition I don’t do water changes unless I’m servicing the Refugium. Tank is bare bottom. Always return water from detritus vacuum via filter sock.
Great idea. Have you ever had issues with hair algae from bringing nitrates down. My maintenance guys says hair algae is a problem with these products. Help please.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Have you ever had issues with hair algae from bringing nitrates down. My maintenance guys says hair algae is a problem with these products. Help please.

Welcome to reef2Reef!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but lowering nitrate should not ever make hair algae grow faster, and I am not aware of any method of reducing nitrate which incidentally makes hair algae grow faster (except maybe a water change that brings in more trace elements that might be limiting its growth).

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but lowering nitrate should not ever make hair algae grow faster, and I am not aware of any method of reducing nitrate which incidentally makes hair algae grow faster (except maybe a water change that brings in more trace elements that might be limiting its growth).
Thank you. I figured as much but need to check it out before I spend some hard earned money on an algae reactor. Appreciate your response.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back