which salt to use

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, y'all I know the debate on which salt to use is a big one!
I am looking for a salt that isn't hard to mix or one that doesn't take 24 hours and that I can store for a few weeks. I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon with the stock light. I just purchased all Salifert tests so I can leave API behind. At some point I wouldn't mind making the change to Hanna but it just isn't in the budget right now. I am trying to change things slowly and so I can get stability before trying to make any purchases of coral. I want softies and a few lps corals like the hammers or frog spawn. I plan to upgrade the light before I get the corals since the stock can manage but it doesn't make them pop like the Kessel or ai prime. Now I said all that to finish my point I have had my tank for over a year now and I have made tones of mistakes that were costly and I want to get everything right. I got an ato for Christmas and I just really want to get on track and have a successful little piece of the reef to enjoy ! :)

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 complaints about instant ocean reef crystals. Most modern salts are all quality options. Do you plan on storing it in a container that keeps the water circulating?

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 complaints about instant ocean reef crystals. Most modern salts are all quality options. Do you plan on storing it in a container that keeps the water circulating?
no. I mix it in a 5-gallon home depo bucket and I have 1-gallon jugs I can store it in. I do a 2-gallon weekly water change.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rodi unit from amazon and it's supposed to make 75 gallon in a day but I don't know if I don't have enough pressure going into the machine butt it takes like 2 hours to make 5 gallons so I make 5 gallons of saltwater so I don't have to make it every week.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic a salt that you can easily obtain. Nothing worse than having an emergency and can't get your hands on your brand of salt.

Each brand of salt will get your desired results.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, y'all I know the debate on which salt to use is a big one!
I am looking for a salt that isn't hard to mix or one that doesn't take 24 hours and that I can store for a few weeks. I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon with the stock light. I just purchased all Salifert tests so I can leave API behind. At some point I wouldn't mind making the change to Hanna but it just isn't in the budget right now. I am trying to change things slowly and so I can get stability before trying to make any purchases of coral. I want softies and a few lps corals like the hammers or frog spawn. I plan to upgrade the light before I get the corals since the stock can manage but it doesn't make them pop like the Kessel or ai prime. Now I said all that to finish my point I have had my tank for over a year now and I have made tones of mistakes that were costly and I want to get everything right. I got an ato for Christmas and I just really want to get on track and have a successful little piece of the reef to enjoy ! :)
Whatever fits your desired parameters and budget. I've used a half dozen brands over the years, and as long as it's not tainted (Turkish Blend, and another brand starting with and A, ending in an O, you'll be fine. I buy salt. Let it sit around 6 months, then use it if I don't hear about it killing anyones tank on here. LOL

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever fits your desired parameters and budget. I've used a half dozen brands over the years, and as long as it's not tainted (Turkish Blend, and another brand starting with and A, ending in an O, you'll be fine. I buy salt. Let it sit around 6 months, then use it if I don't hear about it killing anyones tank on here. LOL
what is Turkish blend?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is Turkish blend?
I believe Tropic Marin had a plant in turkey and Germany. The one in Turkey released some salt that consumers determined was faulty or not up to standards. I THINK the Turkey plant has been closed. But all that is just what I recall reading here. I’ve never used TM salts.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean should be fine, for what your planning. When you get more needy corals you can upgrade to Brightwell or Tropic Marin
what would be a decent light to get as an upgrade I do know that my Fluval stock light can grow a hammer but I would like something that gives more of an appealing look. I have thought of the Kessel as well.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already alluded to, the salt debate is a big one.

You are going to have your IO/RC is good enough for X Aquarium therefore it is good enough for me people. You are also going to have people that suggest what they use because their experiences thus far are promising.

If you are really looking for a new salt here is what I recommend doing:
  1. Find a salt with parameters as close to what you want to maintain as possible
  2. Make sure said salt is going to be easy to obtain long term
  3. Match any future dosing to the salt you chose
Personal recommendation:
I have used a variety of different salts in different systems over the years. I have never had an issue with either Red Sea Salt. IO/RC can take forever to mix sometimes, Fritz is ok but I found the Alk to sometimes be inconsistent from batch-to-batch, Aquaforest mixed up quick but I found it to be too expensive, then HW-marinemix wasn't always easy to get.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your reef look like

These are the parameters I keep and Fritz mixes very close to this for me. I do not have to add anything when I make new saltwater.
IMG_0721.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back