which salt to use

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea's salts are relatively cheap, mix very quickly, and have levels I like.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would be a decent light to get as an upgrade I do know that my Fluval stock light can grow a hammer but I would like something that gives more of an appealing look. I have thought of the Kessel as well.
I like the controllability of AI. A Prime would be fine also I think a Blade would work well for you also. Kessils are good lights, but are basic on/off unless you get the controller. I my fluval, I used a Red Sea 50 led. (Shameless plug... It is for sale) If you go with a prime you can use it in combination with another one or two if you went to a bigger tank.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals..

it's cheap ... and good enough for me. I don't have a lot of corals currently. so it currently serves my needs.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the controllability of AI. A Prime would be fine also I think a Blade would work well for you also. Kessils are good lights, but are basic on/off unless you get the controller. I my fluval, I used a Red Sea 50 led. (Shameless plug... It is for sale) If you go with a prime you can use it in combination with another one or two if you went to a bigger tank.
My local shop has reef crystals, Fritz blue, Tropical Marine, and red sea it's in a black bucket.

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea coral pro. stay away from instant ocean..there were huge problems with a batch a couple of years ago tons of people lost all their fish/coral

RobupstateNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, y'all I know the debate on which salt to use is a big one!
I am looking for a salt that isn't hard to mix or one that doesn't take 24 hours and that I can store for a few weeks. I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon with the stock light. I just purchased all Salifert tests so I can leave API behind. At some point I wouldn't mind making the change to Hanna but it just isn't in the budget right now. I am trying to change things slowly and so I can get stability before trying to make any purchases of coral. I want softies and a few lps corals like the hammers or frog spawn. I plan to upgrade the light before I get the corals since the stock can manage but it doesn't make them pop like the Kessel or ai prime. Now I said all that to finish my point I have had my tank for over a year now and I have made tones of mistakes that were costly and I want to get everything right. I got an ato for Christmas and I just really want to get on track and have a successful little piece of the reef to enjoy ! :)
I've been using AccuraSea1 from two little fishy for a year now, love it. I have a 50 gallon cube box comes with 10 individual bags that each mix just under 5 gallons of salt water. Mixes clear in two hours. So far so good.
Just my experience and 2 cents.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say to do an IVP test on water samples from your LFS That way yo will know what you are putting into tank. you will want to check your water with an ICP to compare. Good Luck

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos salt too and I am very satisfied.
The TM Pro Reef is great but it is also very expensive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back