Which silicate tester?

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a red fire sponge and would like to test my silicate level. I mainly see the Sea Chem and Salifert brands on Amazon both with mixed reviews. Anybody have any experience with these or other brands?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a red fire sponge and would like to test my silicate level. I mainly see the Sea Chem and Salifert brands on Amazon both with mixed reviews. Anybody have any experience with these or other brands?
I used spongexcel and couldnt see the color change enough on salifert to make heads from tails.

ICP test your tank water after dosing a regimine you feel is necissary based on the directions on the bottle.

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used spongexcel and couldnt see the color change enough on salifert to make heads from tails.

ICP test your tank water after dosing a regimine you feel is necissary based on the directions on the bottle.
Good idea. I'm using a drop of sponge Power every day in my 30 gallon tank. I just got Spongexcel 2 days ago and only put 1 drop in on that day....haven't used it since. I was worried about using too much. That's why I wanted to test 1st to get a baseline.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I'm using a drop of sponge Power every day in my 30 gallon tank. I just got Spongexcel 2 days ago and only put 1 drop in on that day....haven't used it since. I was worried about using too much. That's why I wanted to test 1st to get a baseline.
Yeah, for any low resolution testing needed i always resort to ATI for a real picture.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about seachem. I do know that Salifert has been pretty consistent in not working for people over a few years.
Hanna and Hach make Si test kits that work great in saltwater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used and like the Hach kit.

One limitation to the use of ICP is that it doesn't confirm that what one is seeing is actually orthosilicate and not something else, such as colloidal SiO2 or a larger silicate structure that sponges and diatoms may not be able to use.

This describes some forms:

One reason I wonder is that some people get very high Si by ICP, but show no significant diatom growth, while folks adding orthosilicate seem to see it drop fast and detect diatom growth.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used and like the Hach kit.

One limitation to the use of ICP is that it doesn't confirm that what one is seeing is actually orthosilicate and not something else, such as colloidal SiO2 or a larger silicate structure that sponges and diatoms may not be able to use.

This describes some forms:

One reason I wonder is that some people get very high Si by ICP, but show no significant diatom growth, while folks adding orthosilicate seem to see it drop fast and detect diatom growth.
Very insightful. Thank you Randy!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back