Which skimmer would be better for my 60 cube?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MTWiley
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MTWiley

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
228
Reaction score
56
Location
Kansas City
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a REEF OCTOPUS CLASSIC 110INT, but I recently won a Simplicity Aquatics 120DC Skimmer and I'm wondering which one would be better. Do you guys have any experience with both and prefer one over the other? or is this just going to be one of those things where I need to try them both and see?
 
Sorry I am no help to your question, but I got one for you. I am about to buy the classic 110 int ro but can't find many first Hand reviews. How do you like that one?
 
Not a problem, I've like it pretty well so far. Aside from the RO 110 INT I've only owned a crappy little biocube airstone skimmer which I then tried to replace with Tunze 9002 skimmer that I could never get dialed in.

The 110 INT took me a while to get it dialed in, but now it's pulling a nice dark tea colored skimmate. I can't get it pull really dry/thick skimmate like I've seen in some of the higher end skimmer review videos, but it definitely pulls stuff out.
 
Give the skimmer you won a try, it seems its rated for more gallons. If you see it not keeping up just switch back.
 
Man we have walked the same path lol, had a biocube skimmer a while back, total junk. Bought the tunze 9002 and like you could not get it failed in, so I went with this one for me 40 breeder build, should be here saturday
 
It's pretty nice so far, took about a week to break it in and during that week there were a ton of microbubbles, but they went away after a few days. Since then it's been pretty awesome and pulls about as much as my Reef Octopus 110INT. I was originally planning to run them side by side and sell whichever didn't perform quite as well as the other, but they both perform well and pull plenty of skimmate so I just plan on running both for now.
 
I run the 240DC and it works great. I have it on max for wet skim. I minus 1 for medium skim and -2 for dark skim. I like that it's dc controllable.
 
I've been really happy with the 120DC, the Reef Octopus 110INT doesn't seem to be pulling nearly as much as the 120DC lately. It's probably because I had to run chemiclean a while back and adjusted the gate valve on the RO 110INT and have been slowly trying to adjust it for the last two weeks to get it dialed in again, but it's been a slow and frustrating process and I'm still having issues getting it to where it was. The 120DC I just ramped down the DC pump for a few days and then ramped it back up and have it right where it was before the chemiclean easily which is a major plus in my book.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new