Which Skimmer Would You Choose?

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking about upgrading my old CADLIGHTS skimmer. AC pump is mandatory. My tank is 100 gallons display (4'x2'x18"), and 34 gallon-ish sump (Ruby 36 Trigger). I would call my bio-load heavy although that is debatable I guess. I have a Yellow Tang, Small Copperband (going in soon), Leopard Wrasse, Coris Wrasse, Mel. Wrasse, Diamond Goby, Tailspot Blenny, Clown and another little Tangaroa Goby. I feed twice a day... do regular WC of course... I would consider that a heavy load for a 100 + sump volume. I aim my Nitrates for around 5 give or take and keep the Po4 detectable. Based on the footprint available in the sump and cabinet space, I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Which one would you pick?

The Red Sea RSK 600 is the highest gallon rating for heavy load at 150 gallons. It also has a lot of features. This may be overkill for my bio-load and tank volume, but it will fit in the space provided.

The Eshopps S-200 is rated for heavy at 120 gallons. It is the most expensive.

The Reef Octopus Classic will fit and is rated for a heavy load at 90 gallons. It is also the least expensive by 100 bucks. Total water volume... I'm not sure after scape and equipment so this is pushing it for heavy load it seems, but I know they are reliable.

Thanks for the suggestions!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon.
Trigger sapphire cube-20 gallons in it.
20 gallon.
All this hooked together and running as one.
Reef octopus 110 int. Not one problem from day one. Easiest thing I've ever used and 3 cups of black coffee a week.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all are nice choices. from the list I would go RO too.

however look into lifereef skimmers build in the US last for decades and can use any pump you wish. oh and can get them made to match your plumbing/sump or pimp out your gear of that matters.

edit:
oh there upgradable too, so when you upgrade your DT you can just get a extension tube for the skimmer ( if you have the height) and not have to buy another skimmer.
I dont own one but when/if I get to do a large FOWLR that is what i am going with.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a red sea skimmer and love it ! It is a beast for skimming and is super easy to clean and maintain. RUNS super quiet as well . Disclaimer *** No I do not work for red sea hahaha

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RSK 600 the right size you think? Load wise?
I would probably get the 300 that is what I have in my 109 gallon and it is even overrated for that tank size. the 600 in my opinion would be super excessive for your tank. I know you mentioned it would fit in your sump which surprises me because it would not fit in my sump when I was doing my sump research a couple years ago.

Mixed reef for the 300 is rated at 160 gallons . The 600 rated at 320 gallons .

Hope this helps !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Octopus

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reef octopus might win this fight. This old cad lights gets skim but I have to get my hands in there for any adjustment which I need to do right now and it’s so touchy. Very difficult to tune. When it’s running right it’s fine but now I gotta go wash my hands 10 times.
image.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back