Which Skimmer Would You Choose?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is having a DC pump always better for the skimmer? I am split between the 150-int and the Readsea 600. Hoping you guys can help me out here
If you're worried about sound I'd go with a DC skimmer, I've had a couple AC skimmers and ALL of them were so loud it drove me crazy, I'll never go back, I like my silent aquarium <3

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have an RSK600 that was too big for my tank (my bad). I run an RSK300 now and it’s fine, but…I pull in outside air and run it through a C02 scrubber. I say this because I no longer use the standard/factory air intake, which, on both Red Sea skimmers, are definitely noticeable and not “silent.” There’s a hum to the pump, but without the air intake noise, it doesn’t bother me. Otherwise, skims great, and the drain hose, neck cleaner and “foam view” window are nice.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking about upgrading my old CADLIGHTS skimmer. AC pump is mandatory. My tank is 100 gallons display (4'x2'x18"), and 34 gallon-ish sump (Ruby 36 Trigger). I would call my bio-load heavy although that is debatable I guess. I have a Yellow Tang, Small Copperband (going in soon), Leopard Wrasse, Coris Wrasse, Mel. Wrasse, Diamond Goby, Tailspot Blenny, Clown and another little Tangaroa Goby. I feed twice a day... do regular WC of course... I would consider that a heavy load for a 100 + sump volume. I aim my Nitrates for around 5 give or take and keep the Po4 detectable. Based on the footprint available in the sump and cabinet space, I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Which one would you pick?

The Red Sea RSK 600 is the highest gallon rating for heavy load at 150 gallons. It also has a lot of features. This may be overkill for my bio-load and tank volume, but it will fit in the space provided.

The Eshopps S-200 is rated for heavy at 120 gallons. It is the most expensive.

The Reef Octopus Classic will fit and is rated for a heavy load at 90 gallons. It is also the least expensive by 100 bucks. Total water volume... I'm not sure after scape and equipment so this is pushing it for heavy load it seems, but I know they are reliable.

Thanks for the suggestions!
None of the above. they are too over sized . You will want an Italian skimmer pump. The are very reliable and last many years. Take a look at this one. Aquamaxx Q2 . ( even this is a little bit big but will handle your system) I have this one and has served me well. It was way over sized for my 90g system so after a few years (still in good working order) , I got an Icecap skimmer. What ever you choice go Italian on the pump. like sicce. good luck

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this thread was resurrected from last year but I would highly recommend reef octo skimmers. My original sro5000 is a good 15 years old and still going strong.
I did have to replace the pump this past winter but I figure got my money out of the first pump, lol. Would also recommend external skimmer if there is room, much easier to tune.
I have a fish room so plenty of space for external skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back