Which Sump.... Biotek Marine, Synergy Reef or Geo's reef???

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to move on from Geo's Reef for my sump. Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread. It can be closed now if necessary

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A real shame that that gorgeous sump got broken. But, Synergy is excellent quality. I hope the pallet shipping goes better for you.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Custom 36'' sump to meet my exact spec! It was made by a company in West Palm Beach Fl called Illusion and the guy who made it was Vincent Reich, who did all of his RIPS on his CA Machine.
https://www.facebook.com/illusionaquariums/

Skimz DC SKIMMER.png

TANK INFO:
120 display
Ecotech M1 pump
Apex Classic
Apex ALD Module w/ 2 Leak Detector probes
Apex PM2 Module with Salinity probe & A 2nd ph Probe
BreakOut box
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbella 6055 Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
Avast K1 Kalk Reactor w/ BRS peri pump

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it alot! It's very well-built and runs off of a tee from the return with an in-line valve to control the water flow through the reactor. It's easy access and well-designed.

I'm planning on upgrading my tank in the future (I have wife approval for a 400g), and I'm already planning to get another Geo sump for that build.

@mdbannister - Before you proceed with the Geo Reef sump did you ever take a look the @Synergy CL Sumps?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can fit up to 48 inch in length if need be. I am oversizing my sump on this tank, and plan in a few years to move sump to a larger tank.

I currently have 110 gallon tank and the sump is just too small for me to work with.

The features I like on each:

Biotek Marine.....I like the heavy duty construction, also the fact it has 1.5 inch drains because my next tank will be a Reef Savvy Tank with Ghost Overflow. Has a huge area for equipment. Just don't know many people using them. Plus side is they have a huge sale on them right now.

Geo's Reef........Love the built in canisters, because I would like to run carbon from time to time, I also will run GFO when phosphates get high, although I will be adding Turbo L2 Algae scrubber to my tank and it should drop my phosphates and nitrates. The Geo sump has some nice built in features like sock silencers.

Synergy Reef sump........ Also has 1.5 inch drains, like the option of built in manifold bulkheads, also they will make me custom brackets for the algae scrubber since they use them on their tanks. Out of all three sumps, this is the only one with a Fuge section , which again I like the option in case I change my mind down the road. The shipping is a killer on this sump at over $175 ....

I want a sump that will last me, give me plenty of room to work with and be adjustable to any future technology that arrives in the hobby. I love trying the new gadgets.

Synergy wants $175 bucks for shipping, thats INSANE!!! I don't care how nice their sumps are VS GeoReef sumps, Bio Tek, Elite Aquatics and even Precision Marine ships there sumps for free. I currently went with a Custom sump made by a company called Illusion Aquatics out of Boca Raton, FL. My buddy did an amazing job with mine. You would think that spending over 500.00 dollars that they would pick up the freight. Don't get me wrong they make Superb sumps and ATO's storage containers. I even run there 20'' External Overflow Box from Synergy but there are just as nice sumps out there in the industry that will ship for free.

Skimz SM 163 DC W SUMP.JPG

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy wants $175 bucks for shipping, thats INSANE!!! I don't care how nice their sumps are VS GeoReef sumps, Bio Tek, Elite Aquatics and even Precision Marine ships there sumps for free. I currently went with a Custom sump made by a company called Illusion Aquatics out of Boca Raton, FL. My buddy did an amazing job with mine. You would think that spending over 500.00 dollars that they would pick up the freight. Don't get me wrong they make Superb sumps and ATO's storage containers. I even run there 20'' External Overflow Box from Synergy but there are just as nice sumps out there in the industry that will ship for free.

Skimz SM 163 DC W SUMP.JPG
That's a really nice sump.

I live in the home town of Synergy and they don't do any custom work anymore. They have turned into a cookie cutter operation. I have tried to use them over the past year and they just are not willing to do custom work, anymore.
Also to me their customer service has really gone down hill and both of those things make me sad :(

I like GEO's customer service and support better than Synergy... JMO

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been designing this new 150 build now for over a year and a half! I have finally have narrowed it down from Synergy Sumps, TRIGGER Sumps, Banshee Sumps, Bio Tek sumps, and BOA!! After going back and forth on which sump would be the best fit for my SCA Rimless 150. I decided that the GEO REEF SU46RD model will be the best fit for my systems that will run 3 1.5inch drains along with their integrated dual manifold, that basically plug and play. I will make some slight modifications to the 46RD model like I don't want any heater brackets installed on the sump since I run two Cobalt 300 Watt Neo-Therm Heaters that are 300watts each. Also, I WILL be running two EcoTech Marine Vectra pumps. The one main Vectra #L1 will run my two 1'' returns and my Vectra M1 will run both manifolds, just like what you see in picture # 2 and my UV Sterilizer that will be hard plumbed and TEE off. This was the toughest decision yet on the tank that I had to make and a course my two powerheads! I am going with two Ectech MP40QWD's one on each side of my tank. There are so many Superior sumps out on the market! Anyways, here is a pic of my sump that I will be ordering in the next week or so to match my all RED PVC plumbing since i am OCD like that!!! What are your thoughts?

Red White RD46 PRO.jpg

Geo RD46 SUMP.png

Aquarocks & Vidarock.JPG

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I recommend a tank purchase or sump purchase always try to check out the local vendor so you can will call or get free shipping. So far I have a Geo Sump I got at MACNA and Banshee also purchased at another MACNA.

WOW great looking sumps that people shared here.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I recommend a tank purchase or sump purchase always try to check out the local vendor so you can will call or get free shipping. So far I have a Geo Sump I got at MACNA and Banshee also purchased at another MACNA.

WOW great looking sumps that people shared here.

No worries on the shipping charge mate!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowefx - I ended up going with a CL-44 Synergy Sump RED&WHITE and a 10-gallon Matching ATO Reservoir for my new FLSharkvictim SCA 150 build thread. Also, Synergy is building me and will be doing a slight modification to my sump so I will be able to plumb in one of Buds Rev 4 Turbo Scrubbers which will sit in the middle since choosing the option not having a refuge.

CL-44-Red-white-ATO-366-x-500.jpg

Front-Right-CL-Red-White-w-ATO-top-1200x681.jpg

Turbo Scrubber  L-2.png

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowefx - I ended up going with a CL-44 Synergy Sump RED&WHITE and a 10-gallon Matching ATO Reservoir for my new FLSharkvictim SCA 150 build thread. Also, Synergy is building me and will be doing a slight modification to my sump so I will be able to plumb in one of Buds Rev 4 Turbo Scrubbers which will sit in the middle since choosing the option not having a refuge.

CL-44-Red-white-ATO-366-x-500.jpg

Front-Right-CL-Red-White-w-ATO-top-1200x681.jpg

Turbo Scrubber  L-2.png

I’m about to order a CL-60 from Synergy. I plan on getting an L4 from Turbos.

I am curious what you did to modify your Synergy Sump.

Do you have any pictures?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuffloud1 - you can't go wrong with Synergy, in my opinion, they make some of the nicest sumps on the market. This is how my #Synergy #CL44 and Matching 10 gallon ATO looks like under my new SCA150! Almost finally ready to start hard plumbing her.

1567597593007.png

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuffloud1 - you can't go wrong with Synergy, in my opinion, they make some of the nicest sumps on the market. This is how my #Synergy #CL44 and Matching 10 gallon ATO looks like under my new SCA150! Almost finally ready to start hard plumbing her.

1567597593007.png

Very nice!

Are you going to run the Turbo Algae Scrubber? If so, how are you going to mount it?

Back