Which tangs of the same species can be kept together as group.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What tangs would you be interested in? I kind of think blue hippos could work possibly. I agree that any of the zebrasomas could be candidates. I wouldn't try clown tangs, but IME those guys are bullies even if there's only 1.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It seems people are having success with zebras…
Purple or yellow and I’ve even seen black.

Somebody suggested purple tangs in another thread and if NYAquatics is really running a special on these from time to time that might be the fish.

Also looked at Atlantic Blue, these could be sourced pretty cheap actually from the Keys...

Juvenile

1686331049326.png

Adult

1686331110425.png

I always see them schooling when snorkeling in FL / Caribbean.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somebody suggested purple tangs in another thread and if NYAquatics is really running a special on these from time to time that might be the fish.

Also looked at Atlantic Blue, these could be sourced pretty cheap actually from the Keys...

Juvenile

1686331049326.png

Adult

1686331110425.png

I always see them schooling when snorkeling in FL / Caribbean.
Those are really pretty fish. I don't know why we don't see more of them in the hobby.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I wouldn't try clown tangs, but IME those guys are bullies even if there's only 1.

Also cheap to source.

Had one years ago, beautiful fish and he was actually a model citizen, perhaps the sohal kept it in check.

I'm wondering if the aggression goes away in a group or do they go at it until one is left - same for powder blue/brown.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry all for not responding earlier - somehow I didn't get notified.

Anywho, appreciate all responses - keep them coming.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve kept groups of bristletooth species in 7’x3’ coral flats to control algae. I added small and never noticed any aggression. Basically whatever tangs were cheap. Square tail kole, blue eye kole, Tomini, etc

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept groups of bristletooth species in 7’x3’ coral flats to control algae. I added small and never noticed any aggression. Basically whatever tangs were cheap. Square tail kole, blue eye kole, Tomini, etc
I was thinking that! I’ve seen multiple convicts in a tank before myself and thought it was cool! I for the life of me can’t get one to last through shipping these last few months… I’m 0-3 on the convicts.. they last a day or 2 and poof!

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking that! I’ve seen multiple convicts in a tank before myself and thought it was cool! I for the life of me can’t get one to last through shipping these last few months… I’m 0-3 on the convicts.. they last a day or 2 and poof!
Yeah convicts are beautiful if you can get them settled but they seem to get sores and infections after being imported. Maybe treating with proactive antibiotics and prazi could help mitigate.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

That's an idea but all of these are brown. Yellow eyed Koles perhaps, but they are in the same basket with yellow tangs with price due to same source/origin. Yeah, I could see the bristletooths being chill with one another - just not enough pop.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an idea but all of these are brown. Yellow eyed Koles perhaps, but they are in the same basket with yellow tangs with price due to same source/origin. Yeah, I could see the bristletooths being chill with one another - just not enough pop.
Blue eye koles are awesome! And hardy! I picked up a white tail last month.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tank looks nice and those 4 yellows are just gorgeous! I cannot spend at current market price to buy 7.
I actually have 6. Of course when I go up to tank to take pic, many scatter into rocks.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Blue eye koles are awesome! And hardy! I picked up a white tail last month.

I have one currently, not enough pop for the new tank I feel. I probably would regret the purchase a year in, same for scopas, tominis, chocolate, just too brown to invest in.

Why can't Hawaii just open up?!?! Although, no longer sure if that would even lower prices on yellows anymore unless market would get quickly saturated which isnt going to be the case. I have to make a decision within next few months.

Right now I feel the Atlantic blues may be the right fish, especially how cheap they can be sourced as juveniles.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love this. Algae will never be a problem with that crew! The last day I saw algae was the day before I put my White Tail Bristletooth tang in.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
$750 for 5… biota might even cut you a deal for multiple.. lol

I have some small AC fish currently but have been getting feedback from fellow local reefers that the AC Yellows don't color up as well as their wild counterparts. Hard pass on these until more data shows up on grown up BIOTA specimens.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some small AC fish currently but have been getting feedback from fellow local reefers that the AC Yellows don't color up as well as their wild counterparts. Hard pass on these until more data shows up on grown up BIOTA specimens.
Proper diet and age you can’t tell the difference.. my buddy has some wild and biota.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back