Which tank for this space?

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I mentioned this in my introduction thread, but thought I'd make a separate thread since it kind of evolved into a 'real' topic.

TLDR: Which tank do you think I'll be happiest in this corner. An IM nuvo 50 int (30"x24"), Waterbox DX 90.3/100.3 (36"x20"/24") or a 54g corner tank (27.5" radius)? I plan to put a mixed reef in it.

I am coming back to reefing after being away about a decade. I have kept FW tanks my whole life and have bred numerous FW fish. I'm pretty experienced with FW and know the fundamentals of SW but will be new to all the fancy new equipment (and knowledge). Eventually I will set up a BIG reef tank, but for now I am going to 'make do' with a smaller tank replacing this FW tank in the corner of my living room.

I have a very helpful LFS that has been helping me with build ideas. I started with the idea to get an IM Nuvo 50 Int, which would be the same length as the current 29g. But, that would stick out into the room a full 24". So, I thought maybe a Waterbox 90.3 would be better since it would would overlap the light switch by an inch or so (no big deal) but stick out into the room 4 less inches. I was actually on the cusp of ordering this one when the LFS gently suggested that the extra width of a 100.3 might be preferable for ease of scaping, etc.

When I sent him a pic of the corner, he noticed the couch. I currently like to sit on the couch and watch the tank and will presumably continue to do that with the new reef setup. Of course, having the couch this close requires that I move the couch any time I want to get into the cabinet underneath the tank. So, he suggested a 54g corner tank. He has one in stock and has one setup as a mixed reef himself, so can recommend a sump and lights that would work well with it. It kind of seems like a great idea to get a corner tank for a corner, right? But, I'm wondering if the view from the 'side' of the corner tank will be good, and if corner tanks in general are a good fit for a beginner reef.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide which of those tanks would be the best fit for this space. I'll have good advice with equipment, scaping and stocking from my LFS once I make a decision (always the hard part). So, I'd love to hear which option experienced reefers (you) would recommend.

TIA

IMG_1526.jpg

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pointed out to me that this would be best as the beginning of my build thread that can evolve from deciding on a tank all the way through an awesome reef ... I hope.

So, here is the build thread:

Sorry for cluttering the forum with multiple posts of the same topic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back