which tank would you pick?

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intiially I was thinking of doing 20L with fiji cube aio drop in kit but noticed some people wasn't a fan of it and rather get an actual aio tank. which one would you pick out of the 3 options?

1. Fluval 13.5g - $249.99 CDN

size: 22” x 11.5” x 15”

I know pretty much have to remove the lid eventually, upgrade the light, filtration and pump. the only thing worth keeping is pretty much just the tank itself, I assumed

I don't get why fluval have the bigger area than IM cube since they have the same height. fluval have less gallon with 13.5 than IM with 15g

2. IM fusion cube 15g - preorder sale for $150 CDN

size: 15” x 15” x 15”

Built-in Acrylic Overflow Wall
Integrated Emergency Overflow
(1) - Removable 200 Micron Filter Sock
(1) - Adjustable 130 GPH DC Return Pump 5W/24V
Includes: Flexible hose, Return Elbow and Directional Flow Nozzle

3. Reef Casa studio 12g - it a new company, came out in august, created by a LFS, no reviews yet on them so i'm not sure yet

size: 15” x 16” x 11”

two situation directions.. tank/ light only or starter kit package with the tank

- just the tank with these items list below is $209 CDN… or add light option: $249 beam light, $299 halo light or $569 AI prime 16hd plus 18” mount

https://reefcasa.com/product/reef-casa-studio-12-all-in-one-aquarium/
3 x Custom sized filter floss squares (76mmx76mm)
1 x 75g Bag of high purity carbon
1 x Self levelling matt
1 x Return pump (200 gallons/hour)
1 x Plumbing for Return Pump
1 x Directional nozzle

- it a starter kit package for the tank … everything you see below plus one of the light options: $449CDN with beam light, $499 with halo light or $749 with AI prime black

1 x Studio 12 All In One Aquarium ( Includes Self levelling matt, Return pump (200 gallons/hour), Plumbing for Return Pump, Directional nozzle)
6lbs of Reef Casa Sand (1” Coverage)
9-10lbs Dry Rock
1 x Bottle of Ammonia Chloride (12 gallon premeasured)
1 x xBottle Life Bacteria (12 gallon premeasured)
1 x 50ml Seachem Prime Water Conditioner
1 x 50w Heater (120v/North American Socket)
1 x Battery Operate Digital Thermometer
1 x 16 Gallon Of Reef Salt
1 x Salt Measuring Hydrometer
3 Month Supply Of Filter Floss
3 Month Supply of Activated Carbon
Reef Casa Bacteria Hotel Blocks

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta love an entreprenuer - the reef casa is intriguing

you didn't think was going to be an easy decision , did you?

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta love an entreprenuer - the reef casa is intriguing

you didn't think was going to be an easy decision , did you?
Also The LFS told me that they are planning to do a couple bigger sizes early next year 18g and 24g ... potential prices $300 and $400 for the tank

Not sure if they are doing starter kit package for those sizes

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol why is that easy? ... fluval have a bigger surface area 22x11.5" is 253 and IM 15x15" is 225 ...both have the same height and yet fluval have lower gallon than IM ... is there a mismeasurement of the tank or something?
I have a Fluval; the quality is ok. It holds water.

I have an IM; the quality is amazing. It is better on every level. I think they are the best out there.

The Reef Casa is a toss up. Being new it is hard to say anything about quality. The package deal sounds good but you dont get to choose your products. You get what they include and that will limit your creativity as you build your system.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval; the quality is ok. It holds water.

I have an IM; the quality is amazing. It is better on every level. I think they are the best out there.

The Reef Casa is a toss up. Being new it is hard to say anything about quality. The package deal sounds good but you dont get to choose your products. You get what they include and that will limit your creativity as you build your system.
Lol fluval hold water... i hope so

Heard fluval got quite some third parties upgrade options tho

Yeah i hear you on being limited on creativity for reef casa.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the 2nd or 3rd option. The fluval is decent but I hate the filter design and I also dislike non-mesh lids.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say No on the Fluval, I have one. I have replaced the pump, the whole filtration system, the light, the top... So whats the point? I got mine new on sale and with coupons for $100 USD. It is $200 now... so NOT worth it even more. I mean, if you were going use it for what it is intended ,then great, but that will last only 3 months max.
I would go with the IM. I am Biased with that decision. 1. Because 2 of my 6 tanks are IM's and I like their build quality for a production tank. 2. They are local in SoCal. 3. They always hook me up.
If I wasn't biased, I would probably give fragbox a chance, because I do like to support local and it’s not like you will have a lot of skin in the game incase it isn’t what you expected. Also as a consideration the IM would have better resale value if you do not decide to keep it after you upgrade. Plus IM has a ton of accessories, that are made for the IM AIO

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you plan on upgrading the light and pump, I would skip the EVO. I think it's a great package, but a lot of the value, in my opinion, is that it comes with a light and pump. . .

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the 2nd or 3rd option. The fluval is decent but I hate the filter design and I also dislike non-mesh lids.
filter design? you mean the black foam thing in chamber 2?

I noticed pretty much every fluval owners tank eventually got rid of their lid anyway lol
I would say No on the Fluval, I have one. I have replaced the pump, the whole filtration system, the light, the top... So whats the point? I got mine new on sale and with coupons for $100 USD. It is $200 now... so NOT worth it even more. I mean, if you were going use it for what it is intended ,then great, but that will last only 3 months max.
I would go with the IM. I am Biased with that decision. 1. Because 2 of my 6 tanks are IM's and I like their build quality for a production tank. 2. They are local in SoCal. 3. They always hook me up.
If I wasn't biased, I would probably give fragbox a chance, because I do like to support local and it’s not like you will have a lot of skin in the game incase it isn’t what you expected. Also as a consideration the IM would have better resale value if you do not decide to keep it after you upgrade. Plus IM has a ton of accessories, that are made for the IM AIO
Yeah you make sense with your points on the fluval ... basically pay $250 for the tank alone and gotta buy after market parts for it. I do respect that fluval got the length for the fishes to swim longer

I like the point of the resale value for IM when I upgrade in the future, I can probably get my money back since it a preorder sale price. right now I live in a condo so I'm limited to how big i can fit a tank in my place. Also get accessories for IM to fit my needs.

The other brand I thought of was waterbox but didn't bother because their cube 15 peninsula is twice the price at $300 even though I like their shape better... a little more swimming length for the fishes. Also their waterbox 10g cube is $250CDN, pricey for the size in comparison ... IM got the best price per gallon

is there a big filtration system differences between the reef case and IM 15g? pic attachment for IM specs

reef casa specs
Chamber 1 Filtration size: 3” x 3″” (76mm x 76mm)
Chamber 2 Size 3” x 7.16” and water height of (76mm x x 182mm)
Chamber 3 Return Pump Area: 3” x 5” ( 76mm x 127mm)

If you plan on upgrading the light and pump, I would skip the EVO. I think it's a great package, but a lot of the value, in my opinion, is that it comes with a light and pump. . .
pretty much every fluval owners i seen in fb groups upgrade their lid, pump, lighting..

I do respect that fluval got the length for the fishes to swim comparing to the cube

3163345881.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter design? you mean the black foam thing in chamber 2?

I noticed pretty much every fluval owners tank eventually got rid of their lid anyway lol

Yeah you make sense with your points on the fluval ... basically pay $250 for the tank alone and gotta buy after market parts for it. I do respect that fluval got the length for the fishes to swim longer

I like the point of the resale value for IM when I upgrade in the future, I can probably get my money back since it a preorder sale price. right now I live in a condo so I'm limited to how big i can fit a tank in my place. Also get accessories for IM to fit my needs.

The other brand I thought of was waterbox but didn't bother because their cube 15 peninsula is twice the price at $300 even though I like their shape better... a little more swimming length for the fishes. Also their waterbox 10g cube is $250CDN, pricey for the size in comparison ... IM got the best price per gallon

is there a big filtration system differences between the reef case and IM 15g? pic attachment for IM specs

reef casa specs
Chamber 1 Filtration size: 3” x 3″” (76mm x 76mm)
Chamber 2 Size 3” x 7.16” and water height of (76mm x x 182mm)
Chamber 3 Return Pump Area: 3” x 5” ( 76mm x 127mm)

pretty much every fluval owners i seen in fb groups upgrade their lid, pump, lighting..

I do respect that fluval got the length for the fishes to swim comparing to the cube

3163345881.jpg

Yeah I don't like the foam, the bypass for the filter (albeit I understand why its there), and that the water isn't forced through the filter media.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody use the foam thing from what i seen... they buy the after market chamber 1 and 2 media baskets
LOL... I use the foamy thing in my 10g fiji cube in the first chamber because it is a snug fit and is now part of my biomedia. I just wring it out when I do water changes in the old water.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... I use the foamy thing in my 10g fiji cube in the first chamber because it is a snug fit and is now part of my biomedia. I just wring it out when I do water changes in the old water.
no lol... was talking about specifically the fluval chamber 2 foam filter thing that come with the tank

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an EVO and have had a great experience with it and I have a 15 gallon IM on pre-order, you'll change so many things on the EVO that I'm not sure it's worth it versus the IM. Plus you can get the mesh lid for the IM for $30, I spent over $100 on an acrylic mesh lid for the EVO so my vote is for the IM tank.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have the 13.5 but I use the In-Tank media basket on my EVO 5 gallon (think it was $60) it works pretty darn well. I cut up the black foam that came with the tank and use it as mechanical filtration in the first portion of the basket.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an EVO and have had a great experience with it and I have a 15 gallon IM on pre-order, you'll change so many things on the EVO that I'm not sure it's worth it versus the IM. Plus you can get the mesh lid for the IM for $30, I spent over $100 on an acrylic mesh lid for the EVO so my vote is for the IM tank.
oh nice!.. why you decide to get the IM since you already have the fluval 13.5g

yeah was surprised with the lid cost for fluval.. it $75-80 here in canada, made by a local company that design a lid specifically for fluval 13.5g because there wasn't a source to get lids up here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back