OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow... just got email that my tank is ready for pick up already...was expecting it like end of the month or early november because I'm in Canada lol .. i guess IM send early shipments to their distributors

kinda speed up the decision making process lol

for the sand...

caribsea ocean direct live sand (0.25 - 6.5mm) - 20lbs for $35

Caribsea arag-alive bahamas oolite (0.25 - 1.0mm) - 20lbs for $40

Caribsea seafloor special grade reef sand dry aragonite (1.0 - 2.0mm) - 15lbs for $35

CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef (1.0 - 2.0mm) - 20lb for $40

Caribsea aragonite argamax select substrate - 15lbs for $22

I'm thinking of going dry rock... two options

Macro reefsaver rock - $4/lb

or caribsea south seas base rock - 7lbs bag for $35

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both the the Ocean direct and Arag alive special grade. The ocean direct is a variable grade with shells etc. in it. When you vacuum you will suck up the finer sugar sand and the heavier specs will tend to sink down into the bed. I do like it though. If you have a PetSmart near you they tend to have the 5lb bags for $5. Probably a bit more in CA. So you can by 3 bags and not have a ton of waste. The special grade is nice but might be too big for a sand sifting goby. But it resists blowing around if you start to grow some SPS.
For the Base rock, just chose what would scape better. I think the Marco is a bit lighter, but you are using so little.
Pick up that special caddy so you can start your media in place

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both the the Ocean direct and Arag alive special grade. The ocean direct is a variable grade with shells etc. in it. When you vacuum you will suck up the finer sugar sand and the heavier specs will tend to sink down into the bed. I do like it though. If you have a PetSmart near you they tend to have the 5lb bags for $5. Probably a bit more in CA. So you can by 3 bags and not have a ton of waste. The special grade is nice but might be too big for a sand sifting goby. But it resists blowing around if you start to grow some SPS.
For the Base rock, just chose what would scape better. I think the Marco is a bit lighter, but you are using so little.
Pick up that special caddy so you can start your media in place
I would be shocked to see $5 for 5lbs or even close to it lol... you guys are lucky down there ... yeah I figured the direct sand too big

The petsmart is 15lbs bag anyway ... $22 ... maybe they change the package for canada instead 5lbs ..it 15lbs and it $22 Cdn so it not far off from your $5 for 5lbs bags

Are you talking about this caddy?

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be shocked to see $5 for 5lbs or even close to it lol... you guys are lucky down there ... yeah I figured the direct sand too big

Are you talking about this caddy?
The Ocean Direct is not big at all, more sugar than bigger stuff, when I say shells I am talking less than 5mm.
And yes that caddy... Just use floss instead of those balls on the top layer.
Funny what you said about the sand, I just checked your Petsmart $15 for 5lbs! It seems that they always have it on sale. You can always get the special grade dry, rinse the hell out of it in RODI then soak it in some saltwater and some starting bacteria over night.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ocean Direct is not big at all, more sugar than bigger stuff, when I say shells I am talking less than 5mm.
And yes that caddy... Just use floss instead of those balls on the top layer.
Funny what you said about the sand, I just checked your Petsmart $15 for 5lbs! It seems that they always have it on sale. You can always get the special grade dry, rinse the hell out of it in RODI then soak it in some saltwater and some starting bacteria over night.
Yeah seem like the petsmart 15lbs for $22 seem like a good one to get over the special grade dry... no info on their sand size on petsmart, will check the caribsea site

Update: agramax size is 0.5 – 1.5mm

Oy vey ... forgot about the rodi .. another pricey item lol

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah seem like the petsmart 15lbs for $22 seem like a good one to get over the special grade dry... no info on their sand size on petsmart, will check the caribsea site

Update: agramax size is 0.5 – 1.5mm

Oy vey ... forgot about the rodi .. another pricey item lol
I got my RODI from my LFS for about a year before I went with a RODI system. Just do that. I could do 2 water changes and top off on 5g every two weeks. Then once you get your system tweaked, go with a RODI

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my RODI from my LFS for about a year before I went with a RODI system. Just do that. I could do 2 water changes and top off on 5g every two weeks. Then once you get your system tweaked, go with a RODI
Only thing sucks about my situation ... closest LFS is like an hour away lol... used to have a two reef shops in my area and the land was sold to a developer and built condos on it ... corporate greed smh unfortunately

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently stumble on the Reef Casa Studio 12 and, I have to say, I'm a fan. I like the not-a-cube, lagoon style of it. I was going to repurpose my IM 10, I think I need a Studio 12 for my home office. :D

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently stumble on the Reef Casa Studio 12 and, I have to say, I'm a fan. I like the not-a-cube, lagoon style of it. I was going to repurpose my IM 10, I think I need a Studio 12 for my home office. :D
It the similar dimensions as the IM 15g cube except it 1 inch wider, 3 or 4 inches shorter and 3 gallons less than IM

TorontoReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a Reef Casa Studio 12 and I’m really happy so far. I am running the reef casa halo light. I have a build thread going but don’t know how to link to it!

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding to the powerhead/wave maker and return pump

I assumed two ways to go about it .. either

1. keep current pump 130gph and get a powerhead/wave maker

2. upgrade the pump and maybe the dual flow nozzles (or not?)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding to the powerhead/wave maker and return pump

I assumed two ways to go about it .. either

1. keep current pump 130gph and get a powerhead/wave maker

2. upgrade the pump and maybe the dual flow nozzles (or not?)
On my 10g I went with a .5 Sicce and a MP10. The Sicce for their 5 year warranty and the MP10 for it's programmable modes with variable flow. BTW Vortech's are on sale for 25% off. By having a wave maker and a return pump you will have some sort of redundancy if one fails. I have dual nozzles on my return just so one can get behind the rock work on the back of the tank. But I would start with the pump that you get with it. It is easy enough to switch out later.

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE THE DIMENSIONS OF THIS TANK. Check out my build thread, been going for about a month now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back