which tank would you pick?

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiy the dimensions they give on the Fluval are with the stand and lid. If I’m remembering right, The actual display dimensions I think were 18 x 11.5 x 12.5 Or 21.75 x 11.5 x 12.5 with the aio sump.

edited dims after remeasure

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote IM. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiy the dimensions they give on the Fluval are with the the stand and lid. If I’m remembering right, The actual display dimensions I think were 18 x 11.5 x 11.5. Or 22 x 11.5 x 11.5 with the aio sump.
ahhhh make sense now... was wondering why fluval space seem bigger lol

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh make sense now... was wondering why fluval space seem bigger lol
I have the evo and am pretty happy with it but I went with it because it fit perfectly with my stand that I already had. I was originally going to go with an IM though which has low iron glass. I don’t think Fluval does.

Sump design on the Fluval is a bit meh imo. especially if you aren’t using their sponge. So you’ll probably want an Intank chamber 1 basket at least. I ended up using my prime hd and replaced the lid with a mesh lid. With all the upgrades you’d probably do on the Fluval, I think you may as well just get the IM.

edit: a fully upgraded evo 13.5 tank can also be bought for pretty cheap from local reefers on Facebook and kijiji and such. So many people have them. you don’t need to buy them brand new.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no lol... was talking about specifically the fluval chamber 2 foam filter thing that come with the tank
So was I... LOL... I ripped the whole filtration system out of my fluval and it was sitting in a bin, and I said this could work, for the fiji cube which comes with just a sock that I didn’t want to use (tired of socks)
IMG_9376.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the evo and am pretty happy with it but I went with it because it fit perfectly with my stand that I already had. I was originally going to go with an IM though which has low iron glass. I don’t think Fluval does.

Sump design on the Fluval is a bit meh imo. especially if you aren’t using their sponge. So you’ll probably want an Intank chamber 1 basket at least. I ended up using my prime hd and replaced the lid with a mesh lid. With all the upgrades you’d probably do on the Fluval, I think you may as well just get the IM.

edit: a fully upgraded evo 13.5 tank can also be bought for pretty cheap from local reefers on Facebook and kijiji and such. So many people have them. you don’t need to buy them brand new.
people are asking for $150 for the tank alone... pretty much same price at IM and at least IM got more a little more volume
So was I... LOL... I ripped the whole filtration system out of my fluval and it was sitting in a bin, and I said this could work, for the fiji cube which comes with just a sock that I didn’t want to use (tired of socks)
IMG_9376.jpeg
nice setups

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people are asking for $150 for the tank alone... pretty much same price at IM and at least IM got more a little more volume

nice setups

Yeah I guess it can be a bit hit or miss to find a good deal. Right around the time I got mine I saw someone post one with the tank, a stand, prime 16 hd, mesh lid, Intank media baskets 1 and 2, and the rock (dried out) for $300 CAD. Glass was a bit rough but it was a great deal just for the gear. Someone bought that up right away.

i would definitely go for the IM though if I had the space/layout for it. They’re nice tanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
would anybody pick 20 long aqueon with fiji cube aio drop in kit for $230 over IM 15g cube $150? lol
15g. For $70 more you can have two of them - One sps - one LPS or one mixed and one fish only

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Given the other options I think you may be displeased with the aesthetics of the rimmed 20 long +AOI. Don't get me wrong, I have rimmed tanks and they are fine, but if you are looking for that clean reef look (like the other tanks you mentioned), you may be disappointed.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess it can be a bit hit or miss to find a good deal. Right around the time I got mine I saw someone post one with the tank, a stand, prime 16 hd, mesh lid, Intank media baskets 1 and 2, and the rock (dried out) for $300 CAD. Glass was a bit rough but it was a great deal just for the gear. Someone bought that up right away.

i would definitely go for the IM though if I had the space/layout for it. They’re nice tanks
Ahh you are a fellow Canadian as well?

Yeah decent price for the gears

15g. For $70 more you can have two of them - One sps - one LPS or one mixed and one fish only
Trying to push me down the rabbit hole or something? Haha

What fishes are worthy to have in fish only knowing it only 15g ... pretty much can be in the mixed reef as well anyway I assumed

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a petco tank and a hob filter before the fluval. Lol Seachem hob has surface skimming.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a petco tank and a hob filter before the fluval. Lol
Lol wow

My only worry about the hob is the salt creep and potential leak/messy water to the floor and the unit below me since I live in a condo ...don't want to risk paying damages for the unit below me

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol wow

My only worry about the hob is the salt creep and potential leak/messy water to the floor and the unit below me since I live in a condo ...don't want to risk paying damages for the unit below me
FWIW my tidal 35 had minimal salt creep. . . great little filters!

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh nice!.. why you decide to get the IM since you already have the fluval 13.5g

yeah was surprised with the lid cost for fluval.. it $75-80 here in canada, made by a local company that design a lid specifically for fluval 13.5g because there wasn't a source to get lids up here
Honestly I just couldn't pass up the $99 price for an IM tank, even the girl at my LFS said yeah they make great tanks so I may snag one myself for that price. I'm probably going to use it as an upgrade to my EVO but who knows I may set up a separate tank all together. I just finished cycling a Waterbox 35.2 and am working on overhauling my JBJ 25 gallon so as you can see I suffer from MTS or Multiple Tank Syndrome. I have a secondary EVO that I picked up for cheap but that one is going to my son's house for his first tank. The next tank that I purchase will be at least 90 gallons and fish only but I've got some work to do before I get that far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ahh you are a fellow Canadian as well?

Yeah decent price for the gears

Trying to push me down the rabbit hole or something? Haha

What fishes are worthy to have in fish only knowing it only 15g ... pretty much can be in the mixed reef as well anyway I assumed
Firefish goby
Chromis
clowns
blennies

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back