Which test do I trust?

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for posting this question that has been asked over and over but I was unable to find a relatable answer in existing threads regarding what I’m seeing.
I have a RS E170 that has been set up about 7 months with a pair of clownfish and a sand sifting goby. Roughly a month ago I added 5 starter corals 2 monti caps,forest fire digi,green birds nest and a Duncan. All besides the Duncan are looking terrible one monti is browned out the red monti cap is pale in color and the digi has no polyp extension and to be fair looks like a goner. The Duncan is doing fine and the birdsnest is so so but no color.
Before adding corals parameters were
Nitrate-4
Calcium-420
Alk-9.1
Phosphates-.01
Ph-8.0
I checked alk roughly every few days to try to get a handle on when to start dosing and what consumption would be but weirdly alk kept rising as high as 9.7. And phosphates up to 0.04 All this is using Hanna testers. I did start running chemi pure blue shortly after adding corals since I increased feeding and wanted to keep things stable. I took it out thinking maybe I bottomed out nutrients causing some of my issues.
I took a sample to LFS to double check my results. They tell me alk is 7.0 and phosphates were so high it was off their chart, also said my nitrates were 10. I wasn’t sure I trusted the results so I stopped and bought a cheap api kit to sort of find a baseline( I know not best choice) and using that I tested both with Hanna and api with results of
Alk-9.8(Hanna). 10(api)
Phosphate 0.02(Hanna) and not detectable w/api
I’m leaning towards trusting the 2 tests I personally took but can’t help but question what the lfs tested. Who do I trust here?
Somethings off for sure considering corals aren’t looking great but can’t pinpoint it, is it just new tank syndrome? 7 months was about as patient as I could handle. On another note I have zero algae of any kind and would think I would of phosphates were through the roof.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lean towards the high alk and low nutrients starving your sps. If you followed the directions on hanna it should be fairly close. Shake the hanna alk reagent before each use (I store the reagent in the fridge). You probably already do but make sure the vials are smudge free and there aren't a bunch of bubbles/microbubbles in the vial whilst testing. With an alk of around 10 that phosphate and nitrate need to be up higher...its more forgiving with an alk around 8. If you change water frequently with a high alk salt mix and your coral consumption is low then the alk could be rising due to no alk consumption from unhappy coral

OP
OP
M

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s part of why I took out chemi pure blue and started feeding heavier to try and get nutrients up and stopped doing water changes to try and let all naturally drop. I was originally using coral pro salt and recently picked up Red Sea blue bucket since I want to have all around 8.
I guess I have a bunch of water changes in my future. I hope these Corals bounce back.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s part of why I took out chemi pure blue and started feeding heavier to try and get nutrients up and stopped doing water changes to try and let all naturally drop. I was originally using coral pro salt and recently picked up Red Sea blue bucket since I want to have all around 8.
I guess I have a bunch of water changes in my future. I hope these Corals bounce back.
As long as there isn't algae on the sps they still have hope. Red sea blue is a good salt. Have you checked the par from the lighting?

OP
OP
M

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually have zero algae in system currently which really made me question the lfs test, their response to that was I have really good flow that’s why no algae. Don’t think I will revisit this store which sucks since it’s the only real local place around.
I unfortunately have not checked par since I don’t have a par meter, I was looking to rent one. I run a Hydra 32hd on AB+ . I do want to upgrade lighting but i hope for now the hydra will be ok.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydras are fine. Most any reef light will grow coral these days. I run viparspectra lights and growth and color.are fine. As long the testing is consistent your good even if the numbers are spot on.

OP
OP
M

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies and advice. I’m religious about testing the main parameters and this lfs really had me worried with their results. I’ll go back to trusting my Hanna’s are at least close to accurate.
Let the water changes begin!!

Thank you again

OP
OP
M

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your from Atlanta. I live in South Carolina. You have some pretty good lfs’s down your way

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a few decent ones but I mostly deal with hobbyists from my local reef club

OP
OP
M

Mrhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great. I unfortunately don’t have and reef clubs near me that I’m aware of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back