Which toadstool leathers have long tentacles?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading an article on toadstool leather corals and it stated, “There is a wide variety of toadstool leather corals that differ in tentacle size. Some have shorter tentacles, while others have tentacles that can grow quite long.”

I almost purchased one in the store yesterday but I held back because I wasn’t sure if it would eventually grow to have short or long tentacles. I want one that will have long tentacles but I’m not sure which type specifically grows them. Guess I’m not sure if it’s a crap shoot and you don’t know if it’ll have long or short tentacles or if certain “types” of leathers have longer ones and certain ones don’t.

I saw the attached pic in another forum of someone’s toadstool leather. That would be an ideal long tentacle toadstool I’d like.

D28351FC-7B44-458C-A674-1577D755A5D8.jpeg

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long ones are typically called weeping toadstools. This is not my picture just something from google. serval online vendors sell them and list them as weeping toadstools.
1622117413321.png

I have several different toadstools in my tank. I haven't experienced any changing how long their polyps extend. If it has been at the LFS for some time and is comfortable there, it will most likely look the same in your tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long ones are typically called weeping toadstools. This is not my picture just something from google. serval online vendors sell them and list them as weeping toadstools.
1622117413321.png

I have several different toadstools in my tank. I haven't experienced any changing how long their polyps extend. If it has been at the LFS for some time and is comfortable there, it will most likely look the same in your tank.
Aaaah…..thx! I’ll search for that name now. Are yours long, short or in between?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1622117413321.png

the weeping willow has been on my list for years now. tank is finally up and stocking. will def. be getting one.
post pics when/if you get one would love to see it.
Does this one on LA look legit to you? I was reading an article that stated a lot of vendors list certain similar leathers as weeping willows when they are actually not, so that they can charge 3 to 4 times the price for something that looks “close enough” to some.

Live Aquaria Weeping Willow Toadstool Leather Coral

Upvote 0

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this one on LA look legit to you? I was reading an article that stated a lot of vendors list certain similar leathers as weeping willows when they are actually not, so that they can charge 3 to 4 times the price for something that looks “close enough” to some.

hard to say with out seeing the mother. I have personally not seen any frags of this coral. but that is the price point they see, to be going for.

maybe contact LA and see if they have a pic of the mother?

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you get this one? I am curious how it went. I have never ordered from them.

Upvote 0

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The true weeping willow that you have pictured (in the second post) doesn't appear to exist in the hobby any more. Or at least I can't find one. I had one about 20 years ago though. It has, as pictured, a long stalk, tiny capitulum and super duper long tentacles.

All the ones now called weeping willow have very nice long tentacles, but not quite as long, and the grow large bodies on a short stalk.

Upvote 0

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would just look around for anything labeled weeping willow toadstool and the polyps should be longer. They won’t be the exact one as reef builders weeping willow but should still have longer polyps. I have bought 4 toadstools all called weeping willow and they all have longer polyps but not quite as long as the “true” weeping willow but all nice in there own way.

Upvote 0

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear people say things dissapear from the hobby, but I never understand how that happens. There is something really desireable, like this coral, and the hobby is growing. You would expect to see frags of it everywhere.
Well, I dunno. They were never very common. I had one, the guy I bought mine from had at least one, and apparently Jake Adams had one. I never saw any others, although I'm sure they were around.

But, things can get overlooked and then all of a sudden nobody has them. It happens with acropora strains sometimes- purple monster for example.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the the toadstool leather coral that you purchase have the tentacles fully extended. After all, that’s what you want, that’s what you are paying for. I purchased this long tentacle neon green toadstool leather for $40 a year and a half ago. It was about an inch tall but the green tentacles were extended. Here’s a photo taken just 5 minutes ago. It’s up and out of the way of my sps corals. But it doing great. It reminds me of a green carpet anemone.
B0137497-9F9C-4FEA-B02F-222B13C5DF46.jpeg
BD0BF7A5-9229-4377-A601-9736555D2568.jpeg

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I dunno. They were never very common. I had one, the guy I bought mine from had at least one, and apparently Jake Adams had one. I never saw any others, although I'm sure they were around.

But, things can get overlooked and then all of a sudden nobody has them. It happens with acropora strains sometimes- purple monster for example.
It's a shame. I saw something I was interested in and found that has completely disappeared online since about 2015

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back