White Areas on Torch Skeleton

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my torch has a white area on it’s skeleton. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Maybe a snail or emerald crab picked at it? I’ve had the torch for about a month and it’s been happy. It’s in med light/higher flow. This happened overnight and I haven’t noticed any pests in the tank. The flesh seems healthy and it’s still showing good extension. The only other euphyllia is a hammer and it doesn’t have this. Tank has been up a little over a year and is a mixed reef, all other corals seems happy. My parameters are:
Nitrate- 14
Phosphate- .1
Calcium- 450
Alk- 9.5
Mag- 1600
Sal- 1.025
Temp- 78

I noticed it right after I did my monthly 20g water change. It hasn’t quite opened up all the way again after the water change in the photo. Thank you!

DE78EF34-9E9C-47A5-BFDD-CAC08F71C02C.jpeg

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a hard white area or softer

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a better photo under white light. If you are talking about the lighter areas down near the base, then maybe something was scraping at it and exposed some of the white skeleton. There isn't usually flesh down that far on a torch coral

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area is hard and yes it’s down by the base. I think it looks like something did scrape it. I wasn’t sure if that might be a sign of some type of pest. Here’s a photo in just whites. Thanks!

Attachments

• 91809CF2-137D-4AB4-9A88-A9DA24C9E428.jpeg
    91809CF2-137D-4AB4-9A88-A9DA24C9E428.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 171

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really think of any pest that would be causing that.. I also wouldn't be too concerned since it's low down on the skeleton. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse? How long have you had the torch? Not seeing much tissue around the top outside and the right side looks like it's retracted and maybe receded around the lip into the polyp area.

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had it for about 3 weeks. It came in looking receded. I think it’s looking a little better than when I received it but definitely open to suggestions to help it!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had it for about 3 weeks. It came in looking receded. I think it’s looking a little better than when I received it but definitely open to suggestions to help it!
Do you target feed? Mine like chopped up mysis, lps pellets and other meaty type foods. Your tank parameters seem ok. Mg at 1600 is on the high side but probably not a big issue.

If it has seemed to improve then that's a good thing. If it was going downhill further it probably wouldn't have lasted 3 weeks in your care. So if the decline is reversed it will slowly improve but it can be months before you see a big improvement. Ideally would like to see flesh all around the outside top of the skeleton extending down 1/2"-1" or so

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed lrs reef frenzy twice a day and Red Sea ab+ maybe every 3 days. On those days I spot feed my lps reef frenzy. The torch hasn’t seem to really take it but I’ll try again. I didn’t want to force food on it. Thanks for your help!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there is plenty for them to eat if you are feeding Reef Frenzy twice a day. I would just keep doing what your doing and give it time, and keep an eye on the white areas to see if anything is chewing on the skeleton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back