White Circle of dead skin on Blonde Naso Tang (just arrived today)

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a blonde naso tang from Liveaquaria and it arrived with a large circle of what looks like dead skin near its tail. The fish is quarantined for now, but I wasn’t able to ID what the issue is. I’ve ordered kanaplex in case it is bacteria.

48A12505-FE31-428C-AA23-47AFC5DB77B6.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I cannot tell you how to treat this.
Fatten this fish up! If they will eat dry nori. Let them have as much as they want. I know it's a QT and you want to watch for ammonia levels. But, this fish is thin and a healthy diet will help in aid the fish's recovering abilities. It is so very thin.

Pinched belly too :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is quite thin and unless eating may weaken
The marks appear bacterial and I suggest verifying water quality particularly ammonia and nitrate levels
How is breathing rate- rapid or normal?
Is fish eating?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Agreed, they should not have shipped that fish. However, I worked as a wholesale fish packer in high school and college, I know that we would spend zero time scooping up fish, if a fish had a lesion on one side, we wouldn't see it, and in the bag it would go.

I would contact Live Aquaria, that fish is also pretty thin. What happens is that LA drop ships from a Los Angeles importer. Sometimes, the fish arrive from overseas one day and are shipped out less than 48 hours later. Then, most home aquarists use overnight shipping (as opposed to air cargo). That adds to the shipping stress. If you live east of the Rockies, the time change also adds to the "bag time" for the fish. All of this means fish arriving really stressed out.

In the end, this is probably a bacterial infection and treating it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank is the way to go. Kanaplex is one choice, Neoplex is another. If the lesion was a bit smaller, I might be inclined to tell you just wait and see, but it is pretty large.

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but I've seen a high number of problems with recently imported blonde nasos. Not sure what the issue is, and I don't have good numbers on it, but the number of issues I've been seeing seems higher than normal.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I cannot tell you how to treat this.
Fatten this fish up! If they will eat dry nori. Let them have as much as they want. I know it's a QT and you want to watch for ammonia levels. But, this fish is thin and a healthy diet will help in aid the fish's recovering abilities. It is so very thin.

Pinched belly too :(

I fed some flakes and dry nori on the side. He hasn’t eaten any of it.

Fish is quite thin and unless eating may weaken
The marks appear bacterial and I suggest verifying water quality particularly ammonia and nitrate levels
How is breathing rate- rapid or normal?
Is fish eating?

The fish is not eating at all. I think the breathing is normal. I’ve attached a video:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The fish is not eating at all. I think the breathing is normal. I’ve attached a video:

That is stressed. I'd aim for more hiding places. Looks like a bad injury. mysis might work once he calms down.

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Agreed, they should not have shipped that fish. However, I worked as a wholesale fish packer in high school and college, I know that we would spend zero time scooping up fish, if a fish had a lesion on one side, we wouldn't see it, and in the bag it would go.

I would contact Live Aquaria, that fish is also pretty thin. What happens is that LA drop ships from a Los Angeles importer. Sometimes, the fish arrive from overseas one day and are shipped out less than 48 hours later. Then, most home aquarists use overnight shipping (as opposed to air cargo). That adds to the shipping stress. If you live east of the Rockies, the time change also adds to the "bag time" for the fish. All of this means fish arriving really stressed out.

In the end, this is probably a bacterial infection and treating it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank is the way to go. Kanaplex is one choice, Neoplex is another. If the lesion was a bit smaller, I might be inclined to tell you just wait and see, but it is pretty large.

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but I've seen a high number of problems with recently imported blonde nasos. Not sure what the issue is, and I don't have good numbers on it, but the number of issues I've been seeing seems higher than normal.

Jay

Thanks for the info Jay, I assume they didn’t check both sides before shipping.

I just ordered Kanaplex, metroplex, prazipro and coppersafe (Mardel)

Would it be ok to use all 4 medications at the same time?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great advice here already. I would only add that you should consider sending photos of this to Live Aquaria as soon as possible. Just to have record of the issue on the day of arrival.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks for video. The circle is bacterial and the fish is quite thin and breathing at a fast rate
I would suggest treatment using seachem kanaplex and increase oxygen with an air stone and monitor ammonia levels
Having great experience with Naso tangs , I want to let you know this fish is not yet moribund but headed there and it’s a 59/50 chance to turnaround. Rarely do they resume an eating regimen once they lose interest in food and stop eating
Some foids good for them are:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
Lrs herbivore diet
Hikari veggie diet

with a 7 day guarantee- report this fish condition

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Couple of things that I know off. LA and petco got bought out by a Wholesaler company based in Sri Lanka and 2nd office in California.
Quality from there on went down hill pretty fast.
In most 3rd world countries including Sri Lanka and Indonesia, laws are pretty much non existent and most of these fish are caught using illegal means and most commonly using cyanide.
Fish looks apparently good while internally it's dying and organs are failing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things that I know off. LA and petco got bought out by a Wholesaler company based in Sri Lanka and 2nd office in California.
Quality from there on went down hill pretty fast.
In most 3rd world countries including Sri Lanka and Indonesia, laws are pretty much non existent and most of these fish are caught using illegal means and most commonly using cyanide.
Fish looks apparently good while internally it's dying and organs are failing.

Oh, I thought LA was just drop shipping from Quality Marine, did that change? Sri Lanka used to be one of the best hand collecting regions, but I wonder with the current state of their economy, things may have changed there?

Jay

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought LA was just drop shipping from Quality Marine, did that change? Sri Lanka used to be one of the best hand collecting regions, but I wonder with the current state of their economy, things may have changed there?

Jay
Etropicalfish in Gardena , CA bought LA and Petco about 3 yrs ago. I know Sam the owner there and hes a nice guy but the quality of fish I am seeing from them is not very good.
I think with sinking economy the divers and collectors are are the ones doing the wrong things to catch fish. its very sad.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
him not eating the first day is normal naso tangs are sometimes hard to get feeding try to leave the lights off and try tomorrow he does look rough hopefully he pulls through

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a Diver's Den clown goby from LA recently, and it came in not eating, skinny, and covered in what looked like ich spots. Later turned out to probably be bacterial spots, but still- not a healthy fish. I'd ordered from them years ago and got excellent fish, but apparently they're no good now.

Hope your guy pulls through. Definitely give him some hiding places, bare QT tanks are stressful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back